Mt Adams South Climb is Open!

Dchromey

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm heading up there this weekend. Does anyone have GPS coordinates (UTM) for the south side winter route (Sukdorf Ridge)?

Also, I was up there last June and wish I had brought snowshoes, as I was postholing past the lunch counter. Is that pretty much the same every year? If so, is there anywhere near Hood River or Trout Lake to rent snowshoes? I wanted to avoid having to pack my MSR Denalis.

I'm heading up there this weekend. Does anyone have GPS coordinates (UTM) for the south side winter route (Sukdorf Ridge)?

Also, I was up there last June and wish I had brought snowshoes, as I was postholing past the lunch counter. Is that pretty much the same every year? If so, is there anywhere near Hood River or Trout Lake to rent snowshoes? I wanted to avoid having to pack my MSR Denalis.

When I was up last Monday we were post holing from about 6000 ft to 9000 ft. Beyond that the crust was thick enough to hold our weight. However with the nice weather and warm temperatures of late you will probably be post holing above 9000 feet as well. Closest place that I know of to rent snowshoes is in Clackamas at REI.

From the post on the other forum, it sounds like an SUV is necessary, although someone did make it up with a Corolla as well.

I made it to the trailhead in an Impala last year, but I may have to suck it up and rent an SUV this year. An extra 5 mile hike through mud while wearing a pack wouldn't be fun, and I don't want to trash a rental car with the potholes.

It would have to be really really bad not to get a car up there. Think I saw on TAY someone took their accord or civic up recently.

Ive taken my corolla on all sorts of roads people said I need a truck or SUV for. Never been skunked on getting to where I want nor stranded. Drive slowly and smartly. Half the SUVs I see in town only have an inch more clearance than my car and.

I was up there today. Beautiful weather, but winds of 50+ mph past Piker's peak. There were lots of skiers on the mountain. The route is pretty well packed, but it still softened up around noon. I'm glad I brought snowshoes for lower on the mountain. The road in wasn't too bad, just rutted in places. You could get a car up there, but I felt better using an SUV. I'll post a trip report later...

Snowshoes aren't a necessity... I need them though, as I weigh 260. The MSR Denalis are nice because they have that elevator bar for the ascent, which takes a lot of strain off your calves. The snow was pretty firm before 11am, after that it was pretty soft.