Worst roads

nolanr

I nominate Middle Fork Snoqualmie River. Maybe it was just my own damn fault for being out there w/out a beefy pick up or something, but that sucked! Brutal on my car (Sub. wagon, not an Outback). Took almost 2 hours to drive the last 13 miles. No wonder the FS wants to close the road, it's in horrible condition and they don't want to spend the $$ or take the time and effort to try to maintain it properly. Anybody been on anything worse that actually passes for a road in WA state? Alaska doesn't count, or northern Canada for that matter. Got that Dru?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You should think about riding a bicycle up there. I rode up there yesterday. We parked at the 8 mile mark and rode all the way to the top. The ride down was FAST and FURIOUS. It only took about an hour to ride the 24 miles down to the car. Of course if you have a lot of beer .. er .. gear ... then you might want to take the subaru.

Oh, the upper Chehalis road is worse than any of those. The water bars are dug so deep they eat 4x4 pickups with giant tires for breakfast.....

The Hurley River road is kinda jinxed. not a bad road but something always seems to get damaged on your car when you drive it - wheel falls off the next day or something. sort of inexplicable. bermuda triangle effect??

My vote would be the last (7) miles, or approximately (11) kilometres, of the road to Brohm Ridge, Garibaldi Park (that is, to the gate below the Black Tusk Snowmobile Lodge).

To put it into perspective, however, the local snowmobilers driving the road must not see it like I did. These guys were FLYING in their pickups--some even had their snowmobiles tied in the back, bouncing around like hell.

Anyway, I thought it was the most treacherous road I've driven (within the above defined parameters).

I knew Dru would have something good for us. Ah, screw the parameters. Feel free to share horror stories from anywhere in the world. I found the road into a portion of Hell's Canyon called Dug Bar to be not a lot of fun, either. Course it was dark and I wasn't quite sure where I was going.

quote:

Originally posted by nolanr:

I nominate Middle Fork Snoqualmie River.

This road was responsible for only time I ever bailed on a climb BEFORE getting to the trailhead!

The road up to Whitehorse Peak (mine road?) is pretty wrecked too. Or, it was up to a couple of years ago. Maybe our trail park fees have fixed it.

I did Whitehorse earlier this year and the road seemed fine. In fact, my fried drove his Honda Accord up there several times in the last couple of years (not to the 'end' of the road, but to the Niederprum trailhead).

My vote is for the 17 (?) miles of winding road up to Three Fingers. The road condition itself is actually pretty good. It's just that the grueling curves went on for so long that I got so sick we stopped the car so I could get out and puke. Then again, it could have been my friend's driving...