To rope or not to rope on the lower Nisqually

WildBlue

I'm looking for advice about crossing the lower Nisqually glacier from Glacier Vista, as if you were going up the Kautz route. What is the crevasse situation there? Is it standard to rope up crossing the Nisqually, or do people just walk across it unroped?

Thanks

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends-

Are you going solo or with a team?

Is your team carrying a rope?

Would you feel bad/stupid if you punched through a snow bridge, plummeted into a crevasse and the answer to the first two questions is "yes"? :)

Other factors include weather, are you on skis, experience with glacier navigation, visibility, snow conditions etc.

Personally I wouldn't even consider going on the Nisqually at this time of year without a rope and competent partner.

I have skied down the lower Nisqually unroped several times, but have roped up for walking crossings. Assuming you are traveling in a party that has ropes, and you are walking, I see little reason not to rope up... and one reason to think it would be a good idea: you might fall in.