Squamish - good crags for kids

bstach

I am looking for suggestions for good places to take kids - ages 6-12. In other words, has a good collection of 5.4-5.6 climbs, maybe a few 5.7-5.8s and a safe area to loiter at the base.

Off the top of my head:

-Sugar Loaf (been there, done that)

-Call It a Day (Smoke Bluffs)

A few places I have heard, but I am unsure of:

-Respiration Rock - where can I get a topo for this?

-New area above Lumberland - a few weekends ago I ran into a Squamish local who goes by the name 'heavy' and he mentioned some new kid-friendly routes have been cleaned here. Anyone know of this crag and where I could get a topo for it?

Whatever happened to the supposed kids area between Penny Lane and Neat and Cool that never seemed to materialize?

Muchas gracias

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

central area of burger and fries if you can stand the crowds. and the broken beer bottles.

there is a good place in murrin park too. I am not near a guidebook right now but it is right below some power lines. walk up directly from the parking lot a short distance. Very good beginner cracks. maybe 5 routes in the same area.

Edited by genepires

central area of burger and fries if you can stand the crowds. and the broken beer bottles.

there is a good place in murrin park too. I am not near a guidebook right now but it is right below some power lines. walk up directly from the parking lot a short distance. Very good beginner cracks. maybe 5 routes in the same area.

Thanks Gene. The area you are thinking of is the Sugar Loaf

New area above Lumberland - a few weekends ago I ran into a Squamish local who goes by the name 'heavy' and he mentioned some new kid-friendly routes have been cleaned here. Anyone know of this crag and where I could get a topo for it?

Bolted to a tree at lumberland, if I walk by this weekend I will snap a shot for you. otherwise just PM hevy on squamishclimbing.com

I saw the topo on the tree at the far right of the crag up the trail a bit, its obvious.

Respiration Rock - where can I get a topo for this?

Not sure, but you wont need one, short easy routes you can walk up and set a TR, like really short. Some easy ones at Funarama as well.

Whatever happened to the supposed kids area between Penny Lane and Neat and Cool that never seemed to materialize?

Yup its there, maybe a topo at the visitor sign right next to it, not sure though.

otherwise just PM hevy on squamishclimbing.com

I was up yesterday climbing at Lumberland and got on a couple of the new routes on the wall that was cleaned last fall. They range from 5.5 to 5.9 with a mix of bolts and trad. It really is pretty kid friendly and the walk around is easy if you want to drop a top rope in there. I thought that the first route I climbed was a bit awkward and my GF thought it was delightfully awkward. :D

The kids area seems to have developed pretty well and is always crowded with strollers and climbing classes so it seems to be serving it's purpose. Good luck and have fun with the kids!

I went to 2nd Avenue on Saturday and it is indeed a good area for kids with lots of moderate climbing and bolted anchors. I took a photo of the topos - not too meaningful unless you are standing in front of the crag, but gives you an idea of what is there. The climb up the dyke is particularly aesthetic.

N_at_Squamish.JPG

2nd_Ave_Left.JPG2nd_Ave_Right.JPG