Lowe Alpine Flash Jacket

iain

Does anyone use this jacket and do they like it? Wondering about the triple point ceramic membrane stuff. I'm looking for a beefy jacket that can handle below-treeline bushwacking as well as the worst weather out there. Weight is less of a concern than durability. The other requirement is that it is red. Thanks.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not looking for any thin XCR stuff, unless someone makes a really beefy coat with it. Price doesn't really matter. Just has to endure some serious brush work for a few years, with some good storm protection. The more expensive stuff seems to be the lighter, thinner stuff these days.

IMO Arc'Teryx stuff is not as durable as you might wish for given the price tag. Perhaps you get the endless warranty return deal to make up for it though? Some of those TNF jackets look really heavy and burly. Also I've seen Helly Hansen stuff that looked abusable. Durability has more to do with the face fabric than the membrane alchemy no?

Yeah, the membrane doesn't have much to do with it, just seems like all those fancy XCR jackets are thin and the Lowe stuff is priced right. The older north face stuff is definitely heavy-duty. I've never worn their stuff because of the weight and extra fabric, but in this case it may be right choice. Thanks.

Well um, actually i really like my Arcteryx stuff but I got it all at steep discount i wouldnt have any of it otherwise. The Alpha SV or Theta AR are the Gore shells to get from Arc thy are durable and life time warranty. Might not make it in red this year though?

FWIW you could buy a MEC jacket and spend the extra $400 you save on beer. You will get a poorer fitting cut, lower quality control, bulkier and heavier garment but if you want to thrash it maybe that is good.

MEC and Arcteryx are the only two lines Ive ever worn ( Ok I had a Taiga jacket once, i didnt know any better) and I cant say nothing about other co's but i heard mtn. hardware was heavy but durable, in general? also seem to recall that R&i said Lowe Triple Point was a less spendy alternative to gore xcr and functionally as good for a lower price tag. snaf.gif

I used to have one of the older Lowe Flash Jackets (2 layer) and I knew a guy that got one of the newer 3 layer ones as soon as they came out. They are a solid jacket, and were pretty durable IMO.

They certainly represent a good value, but they wont be as breathable, or as spiffily tailored. If cost is a concern though I would not hesitate to get one. They are roughly on par with the "housebrands" REI, EMS, MEC..

Cheers

Shawn