[TR] Mt. Hood, Mt. St. Helens - Old Chute, Worm Flows 5/20/2013

jmg123

Trip: Mt. Hood, Mt. St. Helens - Old Chute, Worm Flows

Date: 5/20/2013

Trip Report:

Hey guys,

Newbie to the forum and the area, thought I'd share some recent stoke and pictures.

I got a job in Bellingham for the summer, so I set off from the East Coast with three long days of driving ahead of me. I had a loose plan to ski Hood and Helens in one day, and it looked like the weather was going to cooperate perfectly, which is always a welcome surprise.

IMG_3111.jpg

IMG_31201.jpg

I pulled into the Timberline parking lot after something like 40 hours in the car. I couldn't really sleep, so I ended up starting the climb at around 1:30, which was way earlier than I had planned, but I told myself I would go really slow and poke around the mountain. I got to the top lift house and decided I was way ahead of schedule, so I just sat in a nook and took a nap. There was basically no wind all day, and hardly a cloud in the sky.

IMG_31421.jpg

IMG_31431.jpg

I told myself that once the sun hit illumination rock I would start climbing again. Once I got moving I pretty quickly put the skis on the pack and put the ole 'pons on. From there it was smooth sailing up the old chute, across the ridge, and to the summit.

IMG_31451.jpg

IMG_31461.jpg

IMG_31481.jpg

I sat on the summit for a while, soaking up the views and the sun, and decided that I wanted to go skiing. With skis on and nobody climbing up below me, I made a few cautious turns down the old chute. It was pretty lame skiing up top with hard, bumpy snow, but that's pretty much what I expected being up there so early. Below crater rock the snow was buttah, and I was loving life.

IMG_3156.jpg

IMG_31551.jpg

IMG_3154.jpg

IMG_31531.jpg

Looking at the next objective.

After signing out in the climber's cave I hopped in my car and picked up my permit for Helens. I packed a bunch of food and water, and set off on the climbers' trail. I hit snow around noon I think, put my ski boots back on, and started skinning again.

IMG_3162.jpg

The snow was pretty not sweet down low, and with the heat and the time of day, I could only imagine that the top would be similar. I figured there was only one way to find out though, so I kept going up. I had one bar left on my camera battery in the parking lot, and I couldn't find any of my extra ones amongst my horribly unorganized packing. I tried to take as few pictures as possible, but even so, the battery kicked it before I made it to the rim.

IMG_3160.jpg

IMG_31591.jpg

I didn't get the crater rim/Rainier shot, but I did at least get one looking back at Hood from about halfway up. The snow actually wasn't terrible at the top, I think in part due to the wind, but I was tired, and as the snow got worse so did I. Made it back to the car, signed out, ate a hamburger, and drove to a campsite outside of Olympia. I fell asleep in the driver's seat once I got there.

Skied my first two volcanoes, so that was cool. It's awesome out here, but I guess you guys and gals already knew that. :tup:

Gear Notes:

Crampons, Ice Axe, Skis, Brain Bucket

Approach Notes:

Did not follow hogsback. Crossed it and went straight up old chute to minimize rock/ice fall exposure.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember doing Helens on a hot day and it was long enough. Impressive after doing Hood earlier. I've done the drive as well in three days and climbing Hood after was not appealing. Nice work and welcome to the Best Coast!

I pulled into the Timberline parking lot after something like 40 hours in the car...

starting the climb at around 1:30...

I sat on the summit for a while...

After signing out in the climber's cave I hopped in my car and picked up my permit for Helens...

I hit snow around noon...

The snow actually wasn't terrible at the top...

Made it back to the car, signed out, ate a hamburger, and drove to a campsite outside of Olympia. I fell asleep in the driver's seat once I got there.

Damn! I get tired and achy all over just reading this.

Youth is wasted on the young!

I remember doing Helens on a hot day and it was long enough. Impressive after doing Hood earlier. I've done the drive as well in three days and climbing Hood after was not appealing. Nice work and welcome to the Best Coast!

Thanks, it definitely felt like a long slog, but I figured I didn't have anything better to do.

Damn! I get tired and achy all over just reading this.

Youth is wasted on the young!

I can assure you I was tired and achy. Trying not to waste that youthiness.

• 3 weeks later...