[TR] Mt. Washington - West to North Ridge attempt 5/22/2013

bedellympian

Trip: Mt. Washington - West to North Ridge attempt

Date: 5/22/2013

Trip Report:

Edward Corder and I decided to try the North Ridge (standard route, 5.1-3 depending on who you ask) on Mt. Washington. We decided to go Wednesday because it fit our schedules best. The forecast called for 100% chance of snow, 1-2" of accumulation and 35mph winds. We went anyway and it turned out to be more like 12" of accumulation and 50mph winds. In some of the drifts around 7k' we were mid thigh and this must all have been within the past 24hrs. Pretty nuts. I'm sure it will be totally doable by this weekend but we missed the climbers trail, ended up on the W ridge and were looking at a 70deg traverse to get to the N ridge? Not sure, I couldn't see sh!t and the wind was side swiping us. We bailed, got lost in the woods and got back to the car eventually (compasses are useful!). I was going to write a celebratory essay on my blog called "how to make 5.1 fun" but instead I wrote more about how getting lost is lame: Mountain Mischief (there are also blurry pictures of half seen things through falling snow).

Gear Notes:

We brought some old school alpine rock pro. Two tools would have been nice and a couple pickets but only if you go up the wrong ridge and have to do that traverse thingy.

Approach Notes:

The climbers trail is invisible, I would just beeline it, if you can see. We just wore boots, no slow-shoes or skis. Fresh snow is consolidating fast and 6" or less on PCT so your not breaking trail until up on the mountain.

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic