[TR] Victor Lake Wall (The Revelstoke Grand Wall) - Trans Canada 5/19/2013

Trip: Victor Lake Wall (The Revelstoke Grand Wall) - Trans Canada

Date: 5/19/2013

Trip Report:

Warm and dry spring conditions in Revelstoke has even the long valley rock climbs mostly dry.

This was my first visit to the Victor Lake Wall and I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of adventure (11 Pitches) that a rack of quickdraws and a roadside approach offered. I intentionally left the camera at home for this one, so this is a text only TR.

ROUTE CONDITIONS:

We found the slab pitches 2-6 to have some exciting slimy wetness, but most places were well protected where wet.

The top 4 pitches offered the best quality climbing of the route with the highlight being the exposed (but well protected) fiddler on the roof style traverse on pitch 11.

The climbing reminded me of routes in Chamonix's Aiguilles Rouges and Barberine areas. Best described as bolt protected adventure climbing. My partner likened it to a harder version of the Goat Wall in Mazama...

Anyway, this is another great option for climbers en route to Rogers Pass or the Bugaboos from the Coast.

Topo and further info can be found at http://www.revelstokerockclimbing.com/grags_victor_rrock.html

Gear Notes:

16 quickdraws and 4 long slings and a Helmet. For most pitches, this was an excessive amount of draws, but necessary on a few of the longer pitches near the end of the route. We brought no traditional protection and found all pitches to be generously equipped.

Approach Notes:

The approach trail is well flagged and well equipped with fixed rope at steeper sections traversing under the wall.

Descent is also well flagged and likely much faster than attempting to rappel (although the route is equipped for retreat).

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting. Why would you "intentionally" leave the camera at home, but post a link that gives detailed route info, with photos? Or maybe i'm interpreting it wrong. Maybe your climbing camera is a large format 4x5 view camera, and thus did not want to be burdened with the extra weight??

Nevertheless, thanks for the post about climbing options in the area.