• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
JDCH

Broken Cam wire on old C4-- how hard to fix?

So I managed to break off the wire at the attachment point on the lobe for an older gen c4 #3.

How easy is this to fix? I'm pretty handy, but have never tinkered with my cams before.

It sounds like BD will fix it for $10 plus $12 shipping, which sounds a bit steep on an old cam, so I would like to avoid that if possible.

Thanks!

I fixed my BD #2 with a paperclip a few years ago. Some people prefer piano wire. But many Parners don't approve. If your prototype fails on a lead it will hold a fall well, but makes a nightmare for the second to clean...

BD offers a cam wire repair kit for about 5 bucks. Doing the surgery isn't difficult. All stainless, so no corrosion worries.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

you should be able to find those kits in climbing shops but it would be in some box in the back. may require some looking on their part to find. Are you talking about the double or single stem style cam?

the single stem repair kits ore easier to find.

If you ask nicely, someone here may even be able to give you one for free. I will check my repair stash when I get home.

Shark leader for wire

cut down and press/hammer down a nickel for the swage.

mischief managed

Thanks everyone, popped over to Marmot Mountain Works and they had tons of cables on hand. $6 got a new pair of cables, and it was very easy to switch out. Success!

Thin wipper snipper nylon. One $5 roll will repair more cams than I will ever need. Pliers to bend, snips to trim, and a ligher to melt and smoosh the ends. A 2mm drill bit can help if you are having trouble poking the nylon through the hole.

4878.thumb.jpg.0ab23ef861f21aa25539f1ac86ee39cc.jpg

Order from McMaster-Carr a cable cutter, a crimper, a box of copper 3/64" Nicropress fittings and ten feet of 3/64" galvanized 7x7 wire. The galvanized is less brittle than the SS most cams come with and will last longer. You'll be set for years.