[TR] Mount Stuart - Ice Cliff Glacier w/ Sherpa Glacier ski descent 5/21/2013

Tom_Sjolseth

Trip: Mount Stuart - Ice Cliff Glacier w/ Sherpa Glacier ski descent

Date: 5/20/2013

Trip Report:

Aaron S and I linked up for a great trip up Mt. Stuart today.

We left the parking lot at a touch before 4AM and made decent time on dry trail up to the first switchback heading up to Stuart Lake.  From there, we dropped to the creek and crossed and then followed the cairned boulderfield trail up into the basin below the N Face of Stuart.

Climbing conditions on the Ice Cliff were just about perfect.  Firm snow on the ascent, and only a slight groan from the Ice Cliff the entire time.  We topped out in the sun then proceeded to lounge around on the false summit for a good while before making our way up the final 800' or so to the true summit.

The ski down the Sherpa Glacier was on good corn.

We botched the deproach a bit and wound up following the creek for a little ways.  It would have been better to find our up route, but we didn't lose that much time.

Back to the parking lot at 6:15.  An excellent day out!

IMG_2667.JPG

IMG_26691.JPG

IMG_26721.JPG

IMG_26821.JPG

IMG_2684.JPG

IMG_26851.JPG

IMG_2700.JPG

IMG_27011.JPG

IMG_2703.JPG

IMG_2704.JPG

IMG_27122.JPG

IMG_27161.JPG

IMG_27192.JPG

IMG_27201.JPG

IMG_27222.JPG

IMG_2724.JPG

IMG_27252.JPG

IMG_27283.JPG

IMG_27292.JPG

IMG_27301.JPG

IMG_27362.JPG

IMG_27381.JPG

IMG_2740.JPG

IMG_2741.JPG

IMG_27441.JPG

IMG_27462.JPG

IMG_27573.JPG

IMG_27622.JPG

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry no this was yesterday and we returned at 6:15PM. 2:15 RT would be some feat!

KK.. we crossed on the left side of the 'schrund. The main problem on this route was getting past the schrund. There was a rock section that I started up but backed off because my skis kept on hitting the rock above me. Without skis, that would have been the logical way to go but instead I excavated with an ice axe for 25 minutes.

Nice job Tom, looks like fun! I need to ski off Stuart one of these days!

The last time I was up there from that side (not counting skiing on a good snow pack last Feb), I found it was much easier/faster to pick up the trail on the right bank of Mountaineers Creek rather than scrambling the cairned boulder field route. It didn't really become a trail until after you were in a ways around where the boulder field starts. Is that trail gone? Or just still hard to find?

kevino.. I would bet with this cold weather that the Sherpa Gl will be decent (skiable) for another two weeks or so.

stewart.. I can't speak for Aaron, but I personally thought the boulderfield path was easier than the "trail" that parallels the creek. We went in the boulderfield and out the "trail".

• 2 weeks later...