Willis wall beta

COL._Von_Spanker

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll respond to some sucker-ass commentary.

It's like this. I'll be the first to agree that roped skiing and billygoat BS are highly contrived. But who goes to ski something with those kinda maneuvers in mind?

Step 1: go climb the route (or the route next to the route).

Step 2: determine that a ski descent is possible.

Now you're getting after it. But maybe at some point making turns just doesn't seem safe any more. So you fetch your ax. Or you do some sidestepping. If you were on a huge alpine climb would you retreat just because you couldn't free part of it? I didn't think so.

Step 3: spray hard and let the peanut gallery and some armchair mofos scrutinize everything and rampantly misinterpret words, actions and motives as they are so wont to do.

It all makes for good entertainment.

yoda.gif

Step 4: If a particular route is skied then the only acceptable style of ascent post FSD would be to solo the route. If someone can descend a route minus a rope then you should be able to ascend the route in the same style. smile.gifwazzup.gif

Modern "mixed" climbing is soooooooooo much more contrived than any of today's extreme skiing so I find it odd that climbers would throw stones at those doing what it takes to ski steeper and more difficult lines.

Maybe you read it wrong... I think extreme ski descents are very impressive. What I was getting at/trying to say was if someone does pull off a ski descent of a particular route and I am considering climbing it I should heavily consider soloing it.

This is for noone specifically... but

The insinuation that just because a route is scary to you, then a 'ski mountaineer' must be as pussy as you are, and not crank turns, is bullshit. People have and do ski these routes in good style, without iceaxes, without being little bitches and downclimbing/rapping, like many "climbers" would. There, it's been said. Evolve.

This is for noone specifically... but

The insinuation that just because a route is scary to you, then a 'ski mountaineer' must be as pussy as you are, and not crank turns, is bullshit. People have and do ski these routes in good style, without iceaxes, without being little bitches and downclimbing/rapping, like many shithead "climbers" would. There, it's been said. Evolve.

49361903v2_240x240_F.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Anyone ever climb Themogenesis in here before?

It's been a long time since ANYONE has done anything on WW, here or anywhere else. From an objective hazard POV, its just a really dangerous route. What specifically are you looking for/interested in? Beta?