Willis wall beta

COL._Von_Spanker

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just saying that form of super technical descending does not appeal too much to me. It seems too contrived. Skiing is usually contrived but its fun because you're going fast and feel like you're flying espescially in the pooder. Climbing is contrived but usually you are atleast attempting to use the most practical way to get up your chosen route for you, whether aid, free or what. For most of those ski descents talked about in this thread you'd be better off walking down in crampons. Therefore methodical ski descents using ice axes and ropes are contrived and impractical too. Though I know those dudes, esp Troy Jungen (who my buddies have skiied with) are fucking bad ass and sick sick sick.

I'm not arguing but making points. - If you want to criticize and not participate then well- some might think less of you. Because it is dangerous and it is daring and you have to climb crazy mountains under crazy conditions *sometimes* to do it.

Ya but when you see that film of 2 guys snowboarding the Macho Couloir on Mt Blanc du Tacul and it only takes them ~15 minutes to descend despite all the hopping and they have an ice tool in each hand, surely it is faster than downclimbing. bigdrink.gif I mean not that I can even ski on flat ground but I can definitely appreciate the antics of the extreme skiiers even if I dont want to emulate them. Just like I will probably never be on a route where going leashless will be more efficient but I still think its cool for those M11 climbers to do it if they want.

One other thing worth mentioning (sorry if it is already in here, I hardly have time to post anymore), as Cavey said, you'd really have to want this bad. Cuz SAR and everyone else ain't gonna come in for a rescue if something goes wrong. Scream and holler all you want, everyone has no liability for watching your dumb butt die of exposure because they'd be just as stupid trying to pull off a rescue. Fire in place is what I'd say.

Why stray so far from the topic? Too keep this post alive I have provived you with a wondeful image of Mike climbing Challenger. I think Mike had a nice 5 year hiatus(sp?) and then got married with children and stepped out of the hard man shoes. Now he is helping the Trailblazers keep the Alpine Lakes fish stocking program alive by keeping records of all alpine lakes stockings. I think this is a great achievement in its own category. Good luck if anyone attempts to ski it.

116733-Mike_on_Mount_Challenger01.jpg.9b76c69ac0c616a5770196a449b050bf.jpg

Ben -

Don't take it personally. Guessing what you might have to say, I would agree that a statement that sounds like "extreme ski descents are either unworthy or irresponsible or both" is a little harsh but you gotta admit that there is some reality in what they are saying. If you go to ski Willis Wall, and if you get hurt, you will have attempted something that almost everybody thinks would be foolish and somebody is going to have to go after you. And if you ski one turn at a time, side step off rocks, maybe even make a rappel, and generally pick your way down some extreme face just to be able to say you did it, that would be contrived (such tactics have been applied by some skiers if not by you, and they report their descents as ski descents).

On the other hand, I don't think extreme skiing is any more wreckless or contrived than lots of forms of climbing that Special Ed and Pencil Pusher would probably better appreciate and I don't think it would be irresponsible or unworthy for the right skier to ski Willis Wall in the right conditions. I'd like to see your response in this public forum though I can understand why you might not feel inclined to enter into such a discussion.

-Matt

• 3 years later...

I'll respond to some sucker-ass commentary.

It's like this. I'll be the first to agree that roped skiing and billygoat BS are highly contrived. But who goes to ski something with those kinda maneuvers in mind?

Step 1: go climb the route (or the route next to the route).

Step 2: determine that a ski descent is possible.

Now you're getting after it. But maybe at some point making turns just doesn't seem safe any more. So you fetch your ax. Or you do some sidestepping. If you were on a huge alpine climb would you retreat just because you couldn't free part of it? I didn't think so.

Step 3: spray hard and let the peanut gallery and some armchair mofos scrutinize everything and rampantly misinterpret words, actions and motives as they are so wont to do.

It all makes for good entertainment.

yoda.gif