Willis wall beta

COL._Von_Spanker

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On a recent climb of the Coleman/Deming I met a Canadian who was confident that the Coleman Headwall had been skied. I passed him again on my way down, having ditched his skis near the saddle because the Roman Headwall was too icy. It’s a common perception that anything with snow on it under 60 degrees can be skied. I know from experience that this is not the case.

I’m not sure what the Whistler crew is skiing but if it has any resemblance to the Alaskan-type lines I see in ski films, it’s a far cry from what they’ll find on Thermogenesis. In any case, I feel the locals have the advantage because timing of the snowpack and weather is much more important than your ability to ski steeps.

RE:I’m not sure what the Whistler crew is skiing but if it has any resemblance to the Alaskan-type lines I see in ski films, it’s a far cry from what they’ll find on Thermogenesis. In any case, I feel the locals have the advantage because timing of the snowpack and weather is much more important than your ability to ski steeps.

I admit the locals have the best shot if they have the balls and conditions. I recall a couple of these guys skied Robson via the NF (YEARS ago and not repeated) and have skied other peaks in the coast range over 10K feet this year. I'm not saying they have their eyes on it to begin with but don't underestimate them if they come around.

It's all talk anyways bigdrink.gif

johnny foon aka chilton skiied University pk in alaska; Siberian Xpress on Garibaldi; NW Face of Welch; Mt Avalanche in New Zealand; stuff in Antartica etc.,

jia and chris skiied N face of plinth (i climbed that face, it is consiastently at or over 60 degrees near top and consistently over 50 for >1000m )

Ptor and Troy (team dirtbag) skiied N face of Robson; Ne face of Marriott (2 rappels); W face of Monarch (skiied down 5.7 rock route) etc.

I wouldnt doubt that they could or did ski Coleman Headwall if they say so. Trevor would do it! bigdrink.giflaugh.gifbigdrink.giflaugh.gif

I'm kinda bumbly when it comes to snow-boarding, but I saw something that kinda sickened me: Some guy boarded down half-dome, I think on the east-side. Is this comparable to what you guys are talking about? It was pure sick, it was. Thin ribbon of snow, and losing your edge would have obviously been THE END. I've seen some sick things, but this really got me. And then, from what I read, after he did it, he hiked up and did it again! Damn....

As you guys talk about these descents, are they somewhat like this in consequence? One wrong move and it's see ya?

I'm kinda bumbly when it comes to snow-boarding, but I saw something that kinda sickened me: Some guy boarded down half-dome, I think on the east-side. Is this comparable to what you guys are talking about? It was pure sick, it was. Thin ribbon of snow, and losing your edge would have obviously been THE END. I've seen some sick things, but this really got me. And then, from what I read, after he did it, he hiked up and did it again! Damn....

As you guys talk about these descents, are they somewhat like this in consequence? One wrong move and it's see ya?

Pretty much, but with Thermogenesis you also have the super high objective danger of the massive ice clifs that loom overhead. So even if you are skiing just fine there's the chance that part of the ice cliff would calve off.

That is entirely sick, that is. That's a new level of commitment, eh? Like on the half-dome route, once you're on it, there ain't no way off 'cept down. I have a hard time fathoming that, mainly I suppose cuz I'm such a gumby on a board, but even if I wasn't, well, hell, that's one thing I wasn't born to do! Hat's off to whoever's finding that type of alien groove! bigdrink.gif

johnny foon aka chilton skiied University pk in alaska; Siberian Xpress on Garibaldi; NW Face of Welch; Mt Avalanche in New Zealand; stuff in Antartica etc.

[snip]

I wouldnt doubt that they could or did ski Coleman Headwall if they say so. Trevor would do it!

They (not sure which ones, Jia maybe...)also skiied some sick line on Serratus (N Face maybe??) a couple of winters ago that involved a mandatory air in the middle onto a small patch of snow. They had planned to rap it but couldn't find an anchor when they got there. shocked.gif

Most of those "ski descents" are stoopid as far as I'm concerned. Its more like down climbing with a snowboard/skis attached to your feet . If you can't actually "ski" without stopping a bunch and digging your edge in and using an ice tool then what's the point besides to say you've "skied it"?

I could probably down climb some 5.6 with skis on but it doesn't mean I've skied it. Its just way too contrived. But whatever... to each their own. tongue.gif

RE:Most of those "ski descents" are stoopid as far as I'm concerned. Its more like down climbing with a snowboard/skis attached to your feet . If you can't actually "ski" without stopping a bunch and digging your edge in and using an ice tool then what's the point besides to say you've "skied it"?

I could probably down climb some 5.6 with skis on but it doesn't mean I've skied it. Its just way too contrived. But whatever... to each their own.

Yeah to each their own is true but to actually do what you are criticizing is kind of foofy too. Someone could say they'd rather aid climb than free some hard shit too. ooo.gif

I'm just saying that form of super technical descending does not appeal too much to me. It seems too contrived. Skiing is usually contrived but its fun because you're going fast and feel like you're flying espescially in the pooder. Climbing is contrived but usually you are atleast attempting to use the most practical way to get up your chosen route for you, whether aid, free or what. For most of those ski descents talked about in this thread you'd be better off walking down in crampons. Therefore methodical ski descents using ice axes and ropes are contrived and impractical too. Though I know those dudes, esp Troy Jungen (who my buddies have skiied with) are fucking bad ass and sick sick sick.