Snow / terrain conditions for Mt St Helens or Adam

I'm looking to climb Mt St Helens (possibly Adams) in late May or early June. I no longer live in the NW so I'm not sure what the snow pack has been like. Is the snow pack pretty much the same as last year or is there less/more? Also, recent weather conditions (surprisingly warm for Apr and May) makes me wonder if I'll be able to take the "monitor ridge" route.

Any input you can provide would be great.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was up there yesterday. Lots of snow has melted, and you can pretty much say that the monitor ridge route is just about open for business. We were scrambling across rocks on the ridge. Don't bring skis, there just gonna be a hassle on the way up. Coming down there are some nice glissading chutes. Weather has been good but do look to check the weather a lot, bring windproof jacket.

Darren

The 8300 road is not open yet. It may be about June 1st to open. There is still 3 feet of snow at 3,500'. THere are a couple of sections of the 8300 road down low that melt out slowly since it is heavily forested there.

The spring skiing and glissading conditions will be very nice for the next few weeks. I would still take skis, but you will be packing them for a bit.

Snow pack is average above 5,000 and lower than normal below. In the last week, the Swift Trail from Marble Mountain melted out from the parking lot up to the lower Silver Trail - roughly 1 mile. The winter route is showing lost of rock. Most people are opting to stay on snow for the climb, diving into the snow at 4,000'/

Adams will probably not be readily accessible until the late June. THe website has not been updated since mid April and notes that the South Spur Climb trailhead is still affected by the fire closure and provides an alternate approach.

Have fun. The snow will probably run out early, but you're coming for the best spring/early summer conditions.

• 3 weeks later...

Looking for an update also.

Friends and I are trying to decide if we should do worm flows or monitor on Sunday July 7th. We want the route with the most snow (avoid boulder hopping if possible). I am thinking it'll pretty much be melted out by then (both routes). Last years trip reports for early July still had a decent amount of snow though. Any one have any ideas?

• 4 weeks later...

Would also love to hear about snow conditions on adams from those of you wo have been up there recently. I am planning on climbing adams july 23ish or so and am trying to figure out whether i should bring the splitboard or just boot it. Thanks in advance!

Monday, July 8... on south side, snow starts shortly after crossing RTM trail. There is running water at bottom of Crescent Glacier. No more after that, including summit saddle, so you'll have to melt snow. Excellent corn from summit on down. Beginning to suncup, but not bad riding after it softens. I went through LC at 8:30 and it was already softening. No runnels yet. At 1:30 PM it was still nice at bottom.

Would also love to hear about snow conditions on adams from those of you wo have been up there recently. I am planning on climbing adams july 23ish or so and am trying to figure out whether i should bring the splitboard or just boot it. Thanks in advance!

If you're planning on descending the S side I'd leave the board at home unless you like riding suncups, boot pack and icy glisade chutes. Its definitly summer skiing up there right now. We skied it yesterday morning at 10:30 from the lunch counter. It was alot of "fun". We intended to ski from the summit and were hoping to descend the SW chutes, but the condition of the slope up to Pikers gave us a great excuse to take a nap and wait for the snow to soften.

Reports the previous day from exiting skiers regarding the condition of the SW chutes were varied from the entire bottom half is beat up "adventure skiing" to "f$&king awesome!" We erred on the side of caution and bagged it at lunch counter being it was my brothers first "back country" trip and skiing steep groomers in the Alps definitely didn't prepare him for the erratic mogul field of suncups that the south side of adams is right now. We had a blast but that didnt have much to do with the quality of the snow! If you're camping at lunch counter there was water running everywhere with plenty of people drinking it straight out of the dirt.

At least 200 people up there on Sunday. Looks like business is booming for the NFS!