Climbing Adams in snowboard boots?

A buddy and I are planning on climbing Adams this upcoming weekend (10th-12th) and I am looking for some feedback/insight. Both of us are fairly experienced hikers and snowboarders, but neither of us have done any alpine climbing. The plan is to meet up Friday afternoon and park and hike. I see that the regular trail head is closed because of the fire, so it looks like it is another 5-6 mile hike to the original trail head. Hopefully we will set up and camp lower on the mountain Friday night, and then hike up to Lunch Counter on Saturday, camp and summit and snowboard out Sunday. I understand that many people do this trip in 1-2 days, but we figure we will take our time. We just want have the experience of camping at altitude and take it easy so we can save our legs for a good ride down.

My questions are:

1) We want to climb in our snowboard boots because we don't want to pack another pair of boots. It looks like we are going to need crampons though. Does anyone know of somewhere in Yakima or Hood River or Portland where we can rent crampons that will fit over snowboard boots?

2) Would you suggest snowshoes as well?

3) Are we going to regret climbing it in snowboard boots? Should we climb in something else?

4) Do you have any other suggestions/tips?

I appreciate the feedback. Most of the trip reports I can find are from folks that have skied/skinned so it's hard to find reports from folks climbing it in snowboard boots.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I assume you mean the S face. This is essentially a walk up that doesn't require roping up. Snowboard boots might be fine. Perhaps you can get strap on crampons that will fit those boots. Alternatively, wear your mountaineering boots, which presumably can take crampons, and just board down in those.

Either way, bring an iceax for self arresting and

DON'T GLISSADE IN CRAMPONS! (You'll be boarding down anyway)

I hiked about half of Adams last year in snowboard boots. I had my splitboard, but the morning snow was pretty icy and it was more efficient to boot it than skin. Made it almost to lunch counter before we started to skin, and that included 3 extra miles that the road was closed for snow. No complaints other than having to walk the 3 miles of road coming down, but that was because we did it all in a day.

I use strap-on crampons with my snowboard boots with no problems. Not sure if you can rent them at REI but that would be my first option. It might be worth buying some if you plan to do more backcountry riding. Check the Yard Sale forum or craigslist and you might find some for the same price as the rental.

My questions are:

1) We want to climb in our snowboard boots because we don't want to pack another pair of boots. It looks like we are going to need crampons though. Does anyone know of somewhere in Yakima or Hood River or Portland where we can rent crampons that will fit over snowboard boots?

I appreciate the feedback. Most of the trip reports I can find are from folks that have skied/skinned so it's hard to find reports from folks climbing it in snowboard boots.

Portland REI, and Mountain Shop rent crampons. Just bring your boots in when renting.

my brother wore snowboard boots for two days while we climbed baker, and he was very comfortable. we rented full strap-on style crampons at seattle rei for him, so other shops might have some as well. this was his first volcano climb.

he brought snowshoes b/c we had a decent amount of walking on wet snow, and they really helped. we climbed over memorial day, so it was maybe a little warmer during the day, but we also started early on our summit day, so the surface was nicely frozen. you'll see similar conditions.

your idea to take your time is conservative and smart. adams is a big hill, and it's a good idea to give yourself time at altitude. drink a lot of water, eat regularly.

http://cascadeclimbers.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1020529

good luck on your trip!

Hey buddy!

Sw chutes is an awesome ride and I highly reccomend it.

If you make your way into Portland, look me up. I work at next adventure here in the rental/ ski tune area. we've got some rentals with flexible bars that will fit your snowboard boots well. 8$ for three days.I have also climbed and snowboarded that several times.

We also have several Splitboard rentals that are super high quality, venture- sparks- g3 skins setup.