The Dubya

Thinker

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have any of you even spoken to a single Iraqi?

SC,

I have heard many (convincing?) reports of brutality and oppression at the hands of Saddam's govt. on NPR. That is my source. I trusted it as I don't really think of NPR as a shill for the Iraq war.

Have you personally talked to any Iraqis? From your tone, it sounds like you have. Why don't you fill us in? Do they like Saddam's government? Are the reports of murder and torture of people who are merely relatives of those suspected of being anti-Saddam greatly exaggerated?

Ummm, maybe we could simply STOP making life hell in Iraq by lifting the sanctions?

Uh yeah. That would help. I am just being fatalistic because I don't think there's any way in the world that will happen without the removal of the current govt. in Iraq.

SC you on a rampage baby.... you high strung today??/ haven't beeen gettin' enough lovin' lately???

at any rate If I were a government I would not do business with zellots and idiots. that would rule out Sadam. I can think of no good reason to help his government stay in power.

Greg- I think SC's right that we HAVE contributed to the poor living conditions in Iraq for the last ten years. One might disagree about whether the sanctions were justified, but I don't think there is much doubt that they have adversely affected Iraqi people more than they have hurt Saddam himself. Don't get me wrong, I believe that we did have to do SOMETHING when he refused to adhere to the agreements but I question what it is that we are doing, and what our real goals in all of this are and I think those three "goals" as presented to us by our president are complete nonsense. Remember when, during the campaign, GW debated Gore and said that he thought we should not send our troops around the world to promote democracy and freedom? Has he suddenly changed his mind or is it, perhaps, something else that we are after?

Edited by mattp

Mattp - Unfortunately, the Iraqi people have not been the beneficiaries of the aid we have tried to send. Originally, the "oil-for-food" program was supposed to go to the people. However, the food travels through Saddam-controlled ports and checkpoints being subject to pilfering and outright stealing by Saddam and his agents. This is not our fault. We are not responsible for Saddam's actions; only for ours (learned that in therapy). We are doing what we can to get aid to the Iraqi people (much like in Somalia), but Saddam is in power.

I hate to be the one to say it but polotics has been fucked up in that part of the world for all time. (yes yes I know not every one want so to be like america, not every one wants two cars and cable tv) It is messy and honestly I don't think that even a third world war can subdue the well, messieness of it frown.gif

it sucks, people are going to die

Trask,

If that is what we want to stop, shouldn't we be invading N. Korea instead?

So far, there is no evidence (that anybody will show us) that Iraq is making a bomb, while N. Korea is trumpeting their efforts to the world? Because of this, I hardly believe fear of nuclear proliferation is our true motivation.

Trask -

It is "nucular" powers that GW fears.

No, I don't think we should sit back and allow nuclear proliferation, but if you look atour dealings with N. Korea, Iraq and Afghanistan, you have to agree that if you were running N. Korea you'd be building up your nuclear weapons program as quickly as possible and that, if you were Saddam, you'd be trying to do the same thing! You may argue that is precisely why we have to invade Iraq now, but so far I have seen nothing to indicate that Saddam would ever send one of those weapons our way because to do so would surely result in our justifiably flattening him and he has shown over the last 50 years or so that he wants to hold on to power. And what ChucK says -- if we have evidence that Saddam is anywhere near developing nukes, why can't they tell us about it?