to all of the anti axis of evil sooth sayers

Scott_J

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there did seem to be a time when the office of the Presidency held respect, no mater wich individual was in the office. Sadly, today I sense verry little of that.

I think Nixon's Watergate scandal changed all that. Since that time people have been on the lookout for what Presidents are up to, and it doesn't matter what party they belong to, they're usually up to something they don't want to talk about. Its part and parcel of the dichotomy of wanting to look like one thing and act like another. I think US Presidents have been this way for a long time, but much was overlooked out of "respect" for the office. One example: many people, including folks in the media, knew that John Kennedy was a major philanderer, much more so than Clinton, but it was not reported due to "respect for the office."

I don't know that this new attitude is necessarily a bad thing, its better to make your leaders accountable than to idolize them.

Penn made a trip to Baghdad this weekend to "listen and not to teach." Some would accuse Penn of being a rabble rousing stooge, but I'll stop and bigdrink.gif to one of our better actors who has taken it upon himself to open eyes to the fact that we are belligerent fucks about to launch a war on a country who's people don't really hate us and who actually need our help. He was fair in his comments back to the locals. It's up to them to change their leadership. It's up to us to change ours.

Toast - you shot any credibility your post would have had when you referred to Baghdad Sean as "...one of our better actors..." What a joke; this guy is third rate. Best known for his role as Spiccoli in "Fast Times" and being Madonna's husband for a flash. You seem to think that because he's an actor that makes him an automatic braintrust as to what we should do in foreign affairs. What a load. This guy has been listening to his publicist for too long. He's on my shit list, along with Jane.

Toast - you shot any credibility your post would have had when you referred to Baghdad Sean as "...one of our better actors..." What a joke; this guy is third rate.

Why does almost everything that comes out of your mouth resemble poo? And why are there no intelligent right-wing art critics? Hell, why are there no intelligent right-wing artists?

Oh shit, my bad, I forgot about Charlton Heston!laugh.gif

Aaaww, now Greg_W, I didn't say our nation's best actor... just one of our better ones. Take his role in Dead Man Walkin or the Falcon and the Snowman. Few can play the pittiful schmuck as well. Okay, maybe Buscemi takes that prize, but Penn's a damn decent director as well (see The Pledge - it's worth renting.)

snaf.gif