to all of the anti axis of evil sooth sayers

Scott_J

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, ya'll have drifted quite nicely, but I'm gonna be a bonehead and post on the original topic.

I actually think the whole freighter thing was rather masterful. I'm sure it was some US intelligence agency that had an idea of what was on board. Getting the Spanish to do the initial stop and search was brilliant, not a usual suspect or major US policy booster, they added a distinct multilateral flavor to the operation. Sounds like the search was fully legal under international law, given the ship was unflagged and had obscured its name. Selling arms is not in fact illegal, even if you are North Korea, unless you're selling to Iraq (whom I believe is interdicted via UN resolution), so they let the freighter go. This suggests that the US will play by the rules and respect international law, which is a welcome reassurance to many. Yemen is forced to admit publicly that they're breaking promises, and I'll wager the public relations bit was what the actual point of the whole exercise was. We manage to do the whole thing while retaining Yemen as a semi-ally. Maybe it just lucked out that way, but it makes me more comfortable to think that someone had a plan with this as the outcome.

The whole issue of arms sales though is a different kettle of fish. Its a big piece of world economy, and the US has a large slice of that pie, which is in the interests of our defense contractors but not necessarily our national security. I'd like to see that examined by the world at large (as compared to just our little fishbowl), and this hubub just might be the starting point.

PP, why would I be interested in Canadian gun control issues? Incidentally, I am running down to Adventure Sports today to trade in my Kimber 1911 .45, and pony up an additional grand on a new Les Baer Thunder Ranch Special .45 (Essentially upgrading from a Chevy to a Porsche).

Does this help you realize that I'm relatively set in my ways when it comes to guns? Anyway, thanks for the info. (I think) and you have a great day PP. smile.gif

Trask -

I am not in favor of gun control. Here is an excerpt showing a critical point. A point I might add that also will apply to us here in the US with the upcoming monorail fiasco.

Excerpt:

Back in 1995, the Department of Justice told Parliament that the program would cost taxpayers about $2 million. The Department now says that by 2004-05 the costs of this program could amount to more than $1 billion.

Dru -

I do conclude that since you never challenged my statistics, which were clearly different from yours, that you are conceding that yours are a complete fantasy. I believe that, the inaccuracies in your numbers not withstanding, their very usefulness in supporting your conclusion is nonexistant. Some of the reasons for this are stated in my earlier post. I did make the claim that if you researched it you would find that medical outcomes in the US are superior to those in Canada. Chapter 6 merely shows an auditor's finding that some of the major institutions gathering medical statistic in Canada are doing a poor job. See quote below.

Quote:"Health Canada, however, does not adequately document its quality control practices for data on communicable and chronic diseases and injuries. In addition, the Canadian Institute for Health Information needs to better document its processes for ensuring the quality of patient information collected by hospitals."

As far as trolling, I entered this debate only after you made your claims. (patently false claims by the way) So moon.gif you hoser. laugh.gif

PP

bigdrink.gif

zzzzzzzzzzz peter. anybody can quote one sentence from a report which says health stats are being well collected, out of context. the reason i haven't given you numerical figures of my own is cause i dont need to cause this topic is zzzzzzzzzzzz. if you want them go dig through the back issues of Scientific American colected online. you are just abusing my well known tendency to get the last word in bigdrink.gif

so anyways snaf.gifsnaf.gifsnaf.gifsnaf.gifsnaf.gifsnaf.gifsnaf.gifsnaf.gifsnaf.gifsnaf.giffruit.giffruit.giffruit.gifsnaf.giffruit.gifsnaf.giffruit.gifsnaf.gifbigdrink.gifsnaf.gifsnaf.gifsnaf.gifrockband.giffruit.gifpitty.gifmoon.gifbigdrink.gifrockband.gifbigdrink.giflaugh.gifmad.gifgrin.gifwink.giffruit.gifsnaf.giffruit.gifsnaf.gifhahaha.gifhahaha.gifhahaha.gifhahaha.gifhahaha.gifhahaha.gifbigdrink.giffruit.gifsnaf.gifmadgo_ron.giffruit.gifpitty.gifmoon.gifmadgo_ron.gifmoon.gifmadgo_ron.gifmoon.gifmadgo_ron.gifmoon.gifmadgo_ron.giffruit.giffruit.giffruit.gifsnaf.giffruit.gifsnaf.giffruit.gifsnaf.gifbigdrink.gifsnaf.gifsnaf.gifsnaf.gifrockband.giffruit.gifpitty.gifmoon.gifbigdrink.gifrockband.gifbigdrink.giflaugh.gifmad.gifgrin.gifwink.giffruit.gifsnaf.giffruit.gifsnaf.gif

Duck! It's arriving!

Dru quote: "zzzzzzzzzzz peter. anybody can quote one sentence from a report which says health stats are being well collected, out of context."

Well I would agree many people could do so but your implication that I have is certainly wrong. Here I quote the first two lines of the report. I will leave it any interested parties to read about the number of reporting groups audited and the number found with deficient quality standards. I will admit I brought this up as an aside.

First two line from chapter 6:

Chapter 6 Statistics Canada Managing the Quality of Health Statistics

Mixed results in the quality of health statistics

Dru quote:" the reason i haven't given you numerical figures of my own is cause i dont need to cause this topic is zzzzzzzzzzzz. if you want them go dig through the back issues of Scientific American colected online. "

I seriously doubt that any Scientific American will show that 2% of the US Budget (as yet undefined by you despite a request for clarification) is spent on healthcare and that 70% is on Defense. I also am not convinced that 70% of the Canadian National Budget is spent on healthcare.

In short your full of bluster and bombast but nothing of substance.

bigdrink.gif

Well, really, I was merely drawing a correlation between Trasks comment ("I'd do what my President told me to do; regardless of who's in office." ) and the German public's mindset in the mid to late 1930's. Though, DFA's interpretation certainly doesn't fall far from my tree of thinking.

When I look at pictures of Dick Cheney, I can't help but see a henchman.

cheney.dick.8.23.00.jpg

b0026a.jpg

And, you're right Trask, I don't accept any particular faith.