New low on Everest

glassgowkiss

I knew you'd weigh in, Rooster, but you've got to believe that WE TRIED, but even Jaws couldn't get through that retread. It shoulda been one of your fat, tender girfriends....

Anyway, you didn't wind up in the garbage can - there were none! I think we had a drumstick throwing contest down the canyon, as I recall. They're probably still there.

Next time: Braise.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another rich white guy's account.

i'm a charter member of the Hate Whitey club, but even so, it seems to me that the olde boye does actually bring his ill-gotten gains to the region and share it w/ the oppressed brown masses

christ, given how much they charge for the permits, who the fuck else but rich folks are gonna climb there? :)

it seems to me that the olde boye does actually bring his ill-gotten gains to the region and share it w/ the oppressed brown masses

Ungrateful little buggers!

i hear garbage men actually get pretty good pay - i don't know if they still complain about the smell of filth though?

but seriously, how many plumbers from detroit are climbing the big E? the nepalese have crafted a tourism industry that pretty much demands wealth to take it on, so can they really complain if that results in a bunch of pataguccihavior?

It's going to kill completely any chance of climbing there on your own:

"As a final comment. A very influential character (sorry no names right now) has asked the Ministry of Tourism to have written on every permit that climbers are not allowed to climb before the fixing team. If this happens it means the only way you can climb Everest is by climbing in a nice big track and on fixed lines with tons of people. It also means that any teams who want to climb something (in alpine style) apart from the Normal Route will not be able to acclimatise in advance before their ascent. It is insane, but it shows the attitude towards this mountain."

EBC trek cost me about $2500 USD in '04. That's RT from my house in Spokane... Points for air fare of course. You don't have to be rich to enjoy Nepal. A bit of thought, and networking gets it done.

Climbing Everest, using guides to lead you up with a nose ring, and a baby bottle (02's), is expensive, yes...

Tough to tell on these deals, as happened @ camp 2, where the main fault lies with all the after action he said she said stuff but it appears to me that the Sherpas are getting pretty tired of Westerners having their way with the mountain, and perhaps in the process, not showing the proper respect for said mountain, and Sherpa culture...

Having said that there is no excuse for the physical violence that occurred. Does send a message tho don't it?

d