New low on Everest

glassgowkiss

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i know you don't care what the sherpas might say, but that's to be expected.

to look at this as some disjointed one-off is to probably miss a whole hell of a lot that's been going on for a while now, but that's my opinion.

now back to your regular bile.

I really don't give the shit what sherpas would say, the same way I don't give a shit about what criminals have to say.

You'd fit right in with the republican inquisitors. "Why would you waste time questioning a suspect? They're obviously guilty or they wouldn't be accused!"

Knock it off, Bob doesn't want to hear about that shit.

next time I kick someone to the face, hit them with a rock in a head, pull a knife on them, just because they climb next to me or above me, please give me such support, and try convince everyone about my side to the story. Why don't you understand, there is a line in each end every culture you do not cross. Even if 100% of the story told by Sherpas is accurate, don't you think what happened in the camp had ANY validity?

next time I kick someone to the face, hit them with a rock in a head, pull a knife on them, just because they climb next to me or above me, please give me such support, and try convince everyone about my side to the story. Why don't you understand, there is a line in each end every culture you do not cross. Even if 100% of the story told by Sherpas is accurate, don't you think what happened in the camp had ANY validity?

I think your comparisons between this and the Italian Mafia are 100% non-bombastic. It's basically identical.

I think your comparisons between this and the Italian Mafia are 100% non-bombastic. It's basically identical.

it's obvious, you don't get out much. Or do you have issues with understanding simple concepts?

Never set foot on the Nepal side of Everest and haven't taken the time to read the article.

From my experience climbing on the Tibetan side of the mountain the actual climbing is a minor diversion from all the fighting and drama.

• Spill Keroseen over tons of stuff. Despite cleaning some contaminated food stays hidden till you eat it and throw up
  • Expedition member has pulmenary edema but the Chinese LO wants to spend two hours arguing about getting the guy to a lower elevation prior to running out of O2 supplies
  • Chinese LO wants to spend hour arguing about additional charges and asking for immediate payment.
  • Two weeks later the LO reads an official directive from on high saying, "Do not pay anyone for expedition charges at base camp."
  • Expedition on the North Col Route buys fixed lines from departing expedition and demands payments from other expeditions who use their ropes
  • Climber who climb without use of fixed ropes on NC Route end up paying for them anyway
  • Yak hearders steal stuff.

The last item is the least fucked up. The poor guys need or deserve anything they can get no matter how they get it.

It seems like the hired sherpas got pissed at something too and protested. I don't remember details.

Don't go to E for the climbing!

In our 6 weeks climbing in the Khumbu, long, long ago:

5 porters skipped off after getting their half up front.

1 porter got kicked in the face by a horse. Broken cheekbone. What he was trying to do with the horse remains unknown.

1 yak with 2 duffels of gear fell in the Kali Gandaki. Recovered without injury, although there was a lot of screaming and some therapeutic rum drinking afterwards.

1 porter got PE, was sent down, then came back up the next morning because he 'felt better'. We listened to him gurgle all night, hoping he wouldn't die on us. He didn't, but he hated us afterwards for sending him down.

Among our own party - 1 case of life threatening dysentery, for which we had to bribe our way onto a plane (weather was backing flights up), 1 case of Ronnie the Roundworm, 1 nagging flu. Most trekking parties we ran into were faring worse.

Our 'cook' was nothing of the sort - just someone's nephew. After 2 weeks without meat, other than canned bacon (probably the most disgusting food I've ever seen), he finally relented and had a chicken slaughtered by our token non-buddhist.

Actually, it was a rooster. Boiled. No one in our party could get their teeth through it, so we just threw it away. The drumsticks kind of bounced like super balls.

We saw the same cook get water out of a cow pond - with the cows still standing in it.

Not complaining, just relaying some realities of intercultural climbing.

Thank Dog a couple of us had massive quantities of locally purchased hash on hand. What a life saver.

We eventually shortened our Nepal leg by a week and went to Thailand.

GREAT move.

...he finally relented and had a chicken slaughtered by our token non-buddhist.

Actually, it was a rooster. Boiled. No one in our party could get their teeth through it, so we just threw it away. The drumsticks kind of bounced like super balls

:tdown::tdown::tdown::noway::noway::noway::anger::anger::anger:

HELLO!!

DISGUSTING!!

AND IF YOU'RE GOING TO EAT US, THEN EAT US! THAT ROOSTER COULD'VE BEEN USEFUL SOMEWHERE OTHER THAN THE GARBAGE CAN OR FEEDING YOUR FAT ASS!

NOW...EAT ME!!!

:hcluv::hcluv::anger:

I knew you'd weigh in, Rooster, but you've got to believe that WE TRIED, but even Jaws couldn't get through that retread. It shoulda been one of your fat, tender girfriends....

Anyway, you didn't wind up in the garbage can - there were none! I think we had a drumstick throwing contest down the canyon, as I recall. They're probably still there.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

The Sherpas did have their say.

They issued a formal apology.

Still full of shit, good to see things never change

1. On April 27 2013, above Everest Base Camp, at Camp 2 and Camp 3 an agreement arose between foreign climbers and Nepali climbers and the situation was discussed today at this meeting. Both parties have realized their errors and apologized to each other in front of those present. Furthermore, both parties agreed to help each other in the future to make successful each others goals. It has also been decided that this issue will not be raised again.

http://www.alanarnette.com/blog/2013/04/29/everest-2013-everest-armistice/

I knew you'd weigh in, Rooster, but you've got to believe that WE TRIED, but even Jaws couldn't get through that retread. It shoulda been one of your fat, tender girfriends....

:noway::anger::noway::anger::tdown::tdown:

NO IT SHOULD NOT HAVE!! Gertrude, Edith, Matilda, and Elsa are OFF LIMITS, strictly FREE RANGE, buddy.

Anyway, you didn't wind up in the garbage can - there were none! I think we had a drumstick throwing contest down the canyon, as I recall. They're probably still there.

Glad you had fun...NOT.

Hope those few bites you managed gave you a good dose of H5:N1

:tdown::tdown::tdown:

I really don't give the shit what sherpas would say...

Most if not all the media outlets seem to have taken the same position. From what I've seen, interviews with Euros outnumber those with locals by about 12-0. None take into account the larger political economy on Everest, the eco-shithole it's turned into, or the racial dynamics at play. Fucking joke, keep up the self-justifying righteous indignation, sahib.