Shasta - Casaval Ridge/Avy Gulch

Pete04

After being turned back by high winds a month or so ago, my buddy and I re-attacked Shasta this weekend. Casaval Ridge was still well covered and the Catwalk "crux" was still snow filled so it was a non-issue. The true summit was snowless, but skiing was possible from just below the summit (I think my altimeter said 14,040) to the Bunny Flat Trailhead with a small (~100m) area at the bottom of Misery Hill where I had to carry my skis.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good conditions for the most part. It was slushy in the later afternoon at lower elevations but that's no surprise. I wish we could've started our descent a little earlier around say 1100; that probably would've been great skiing but scrambling with ski boots on and skis on the pack took us longer than expected and we didn't start our descent until the afternoon. Great snow near the top of Avy Gulch and through most of the descent until the runout to the trees under Lake Helen camp. Snow off the summit pyramid was wind-whipped and trash but skiable.

View of the summit from the top of Misery Hill:

IMG_12181.JPG

Casaval Ridge to looker's left

IMG_12141.JPG