Layton Kor died

glassgowkiss

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

....Higher up Layton got into trouble. I had followed him many times but had never seen him so gripped. He did some incredible stems that I knew my mer 6' 2" in frame cound not duplicate. As soon as I reached the same spot Layton announced "If you can't make it up in 30 seconds I'll start hauling! This routes gotta go!" I looked around frantically for a hold, found one, pulled up and had just about worked out the crucial combination when Layton hollered, "Times up!" "Wait Layton, I'm making it" Too late. With a great "This route's gotta go" Layton began hauling on the rope. I came up sputtering and protesting but Layton could only think of the fifth pitch.

.....Higher, after Layton had run out 80 feet of rope, I suggested that he place a piton. He did, but I was able to pluck it out with my fingers. "Yeah, well, I didn't want you to get too worried".

He also was famous for leading a desperate pitch then telling his second - "Don't fall here or we'll both go!" Then chuckling at watching them, wide-eyed, and gripped.

Pat Ament's book relates a tale about climbing the Bastille in Eldo which is pretty hairy for 5.7. (Might be 5.8, its Eldo). Layton ripped off with teenage Ament holding the rope doing a hip belay and blistered his hands. Layton, after a 50 footer just said shake it off and went back up. His history in CO is amazing and I'll bet his personality was off the charts.

Imagine Kor, Holloway, Gill, Collins, Hersey, Erickson, and Ament in a bar having a conversation about their experiences. American Idol can't compete with old school Colorado for reality.

Edited by matt_warfield

• 4 weeks later...