• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
RuMR

Best stove for France...

I have an old whisperlite international. I'm looking to upgrade to a cartridge stove for a trip I am going on with my boy to Ceuse. We will be camping.

Beta on stoves?

Any screw in burner will work. Skip the Buet cartridges which once punctured must be consumed.

I have this one which is super lite and works great.

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Backpacking-Stove-Reviews/Optimus-Crux

There is no issue with flying with any burner - just leave the cartridges at home.

I have also flown with a gas stove and bottles. Just make sure they are clean. The fuel you want in France is called "Essence C" and you buy it at a hardware store.

Stove aside, I hope you and Drew rip it up over there or at least have a good time. Look at the first part of Realization for little feller.

Edited by matt_warfield

If not doing high altitude or cold weather camping then I like to use an alcohol stove in france. The fuel is available in any grocery or small epicerie in the cleaning section (L'alcool à brûler). Easy to find, super cheap, the stove is easy to fly with.

The screwin canisters are pretty easy to find in france (nor really most any popular mountain destination in the world) and flying with a stove in checked bag isn't a problem at all so whatever the screwin stove of your persuasion is. On the small/light/cheap front a Pocket Rocket or a Snowpeak Gigapower