Chasing Ice

mike1

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I watching this on Netflix last night and I really encourage everyone to watch it. I know a few pretty smart people who do not believe in climate change and this movie pretty much hammers the message home how dire this situation is.

There is another movie on Netflix called Petropolis made by Green Peace about the Alberta Oil Sands. It's a tad boring because it's mostly plane footage but again the visual of what is actually going on is important. I read a recent article stating that if the oil sands development continue at it's present rate it will push CO2 levels to the point of no return by 2050 and we will start seeing significant rises in oceanic levels.

This is the most important issue to our civilization. You can't have a police state on a dead planet.

You can't have a healthy democracy that can intelligently vote to change course in a police state with a love of fundamentalism, monopoly, and extreme wealth concentration.

It's all part of the whole. When 'prioritizing' the problems before us, it's helpful to think about how, or whether, reform can actually happen.

Confirmation bias will likely ensure that your denier buddies will discount the site specific imagery in the film and focus even more stridently on 'data' (news stories and a handful of climate denier 'researchers') that support their beliefs.

Film can deliver a message in a powerful way, but there is no silver bullet here.

Edited by tvashtarkatena