Hood - Snow Conditions Report?

B Deleted_Beck

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What the hell are you seeing to the contrary that I am missing?

Sounds like you've got the situation sized up about right, bro... I'm probably gonna call this one off.

I'm pretty sure I still have all my sick time for the year, and the forecast is looking hella better this next week.

:-0

hmm.. true. never got below 30 degrees at 7k all day today. 7 inches of new at 9k extrapolated for this evening, none tomorrow. judicious evaluation but possibly some excellent skiing higher. lee side climbing, not so great. come on now you've hit DKH in february in much more meager 'windows' :) by mon-tues-weds i bet east side is great, supportable crust in AM, corn in PM

We went up.. seeing the sustained 40mph winds and loose snow, not being able to differentiate heavy spindrift from small loose snow avis, we opted to bail from the East side. My partner was itching for some ice, though, so we shot up into the crater and dug a nice little windbreak right under DKH. Went to sleep to strong winds and clear skies... woke up to stronger winds and total white-out. Packed up and bounced around 6 this morning.

Navigation by GPS only at times... couldn't tell up from down. Fuckin' bullshit. I saw glimpses of other climbers hastily going down, tracks leading to and fro strange places and directions, and know at least one early party went up the Hogsback before the weather really turned... Really hoping we don't have any disasters today.

Where was dem clear skies they promised us?

Its in the next few days apparently.. this small system brushing the area is really swabbing hood good with clouds and wind. We went up much later than you probably. Crap vis, crap skiing mostly down low (pocket or two of o.k. stuff). Didn't expect much, just hoped for some breaks or a bit of burn off.

Talked to someone who must have talked to you, re: worst navi from up high, really glad to use GPS for some help.

Think a return on Tuesday...

been pretty good... went up today. skied from the hogs at 11 or so.. SE slopes soft enough to be fun, S and SW still not quite there but plenty manageable. hope the weather holds for your arrival.

few paragliders today as well, fun to watch. guy who came up cooper spur said it was great conditions, but descending at 9am things were already balling up a bit (removing crampons solved that).

Mfox79, yer probably already in Orygun but while weather has been nice the winds are ripping up on the hill this weekend. A great cloud cap show was put on today. The winds on the summit ridge were probably sustained at ~40 mph and could have easily blown someone off balance and down the north face. One of the few times I have been concerned about the traverse along the summit ridge (I came up from West Crater Rim after soling up the Reid Headwall)..

Of course coming down from the old chute was a hoot. I just leaned into the wind and plunge stepped down.

So, right now (5/02)the conditions on the upper mountain, specifically on west crater face, is mostly hard ice. Strongly consider belaying your partner and protecting your route.

Hard ice??? I seriously doubt that it is ice perhaps hard nevé. This statement is not to undermine the idea running belays or the consequences of not using protection but there is huge difference between climbing a slope covered in ice and on covered in nevé.