how to burn fat

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hrs at 95% AT? yikes.

Yeah, 95% is at the extreme end and hard. But you don't start there. You start somewhere more manageable, as hard as you can go for 2 hours and recover from. 90% is very doable after a few months.

2 hrs at 95% AT? yikes.

Yeah, 95% is at the extreme end and hard. But you don't start there. You start somewhere more manageable, as hard as you can go for 2 hours and recover from. 90% is very doable after a few months.

this sounds like a very hard way to lose belly fat :)

is this training for something specific, or just to be/get in shape?

you need fuel to burn the fire - that is you need glucose to burn fat. You don't have big reserves, so you body will begin to metabolize protein to accomplish the same goal. The lower your blood glucose and glycogen stores dip, the more you burn protein, not fat. That is how you die of starvation while remaining a fatty. This relates to my point on timing of nutrients. You need to start with a high level of carbs and taper to more proteins to get the fat fires burning in the am, and insulin (which shunts glucose to the cells) is much more sensitive in the am than the pm (so the extra carbs turn into fat not mitochondria food).

Also, when you are extremely hungry (which may be nothing close to starving for over-eatter) your body begins to conserve its fuel burning. Your metabolism lowers in a real or imagined effort to stay alive...and you burn less fat.

So the "trick" is to intelligently time what and how much you eat while exercising to more effectively burn more fat. Jon's extreme workout is a good example of training to alter your metabolism to burn more fat and less blood sugar/glycogen reserves.

BTW, looking for answers on bb such as this (where everyone is an "expert") is by far the worst avenue to get answers.

You paste a bunch of garbage about the molecular biology of metabolism and then say this.

Yes I do. That is exact my point. You have to have a certain base knowledge or you need help. How the fuck are you suppose to achieve weight loss, if you really don't know basics about human physiology? If anyone get to the point of being fat (and in medical terms it's 25% of male body is composed of adipose tissue), it's obvious to me that:

A- you don't know a fuck about exercise

B- you don't know a fuck about proper eating.

Dx- find help or perish from cardio-vascular disease.

And Kimmo keeps spouting some complete bullshit pseudo- physiology, without shred of knowledge of the subject.

So ML is only partially right- not only you can die of starvation while still fat, but also still stupid.

BTW, looking for answers on bb such as this (where everyone is an "expert") is by far the worst avenue to get answers.

You paste a bunch of garbage about the molecular biology of metabolism and then say this.

Yes I do. That is exact my point. You have to have a certain base knowledge or you need help. How the fuck are you suppose to achieve weight loss, if you really don't know basics about human physiology? If anyone get to the point of being fat (and in medical terms it's 25% of male body is composed of adipose tissue), it's obvious to me that:

A- you don't know a fuck about exercise

B- you don't know a fuck about proper eating.

Dx- find help or perish from cardio-vascular disease.

And Kimmo keeps spouting some complete bullshit pseudo- physiology, without shred of knowledge of the subject.

So ML is only partially right- not only you can die of starvation while still fat, but also still stupid.

did u learn this shit in ur anger management class ;)

you need fuel to burn the fire - that is you need glucose to burn fat.

have you heard of "ketosis"? you might want to read up on it, since you are seemingly interested in human, and by extension, mammalian physiology. here's a decent primer.

That is how you die of starvation while remaining a fatty.

can you cite any case studies of humanoids (or any mammals) that have died of starvation "while remaining a fatty."? i haven't heard of this, not even when oprah went on her water fast.

Also, when you are extremely hungry (which may be nothing close to starving for over-eatter) your body begins to conserve its fuel burning. Your metabolism lowers in a real or imagined effort to stay alive...and you burn less fat.

can you link to a study showing this reduced metabolic rate after reduced eating?

BTW, looking for answers on bb such as this (where everyone is an "expert") is by far the worst avenue to get answers. My advice is, find a good trainer, sit down with him/her. Make a plan, change your eating habits, and follow the plan.

problem is finding a "good" trainer. most are probably busy working with high caliber athletes.

This is very false. The main barrier to entry is that people don't want to spend the money

The lower your blood glucose and glycogen stores dip, the more you burn protein, not fat.

it seems this idea is a bit misguided, based on both my readings, personal experience with fasting and caloric restriction, and common sense.

from my readings:

the body enters ketosis after the depletion of glycogen stores, i think after two or three days under normal circumstances (link in previous post above regarding ketosis). almost all tissues can utilize ketones for energy needs. the brain is a bit different: although most areas can utilize ketones, there are small areas needing glucose (can't remember which areas; tiny cells). this glucose need can be supplied through gluconeogenesis, which requires all of 20 grams of protein (please verify!). this would be a net protein loss of 20 g per day during a complete fast, which would equate to what, a pound of protein loss every 20 days? seems a touch low, but.... another consideration in lean tissue sparing during fasting/low cal is the increase in growth hormone during fasting: here's one study link. another study, i'm sure you can google it, showed a 2,100% spike in GH after a 48 hr fast, if i recall correctly.

point being, the body protects lean tissue. duh.

personal experience:

i've done a 7 day water fast, and an 8 day broth and juice fast, and multiple shorter fasts. during these times, guess what disappeared? that's right, fat off my body. did i lose strength ie. muscles? i won a climbing comp on the 7th day of my juice fast (~200-300 cals a day).

common sense:

is it reasonable to think that humans, along with every other animal, aren't biologically equipped to handle periods of caloric deprivation? nonsense! and, is it reasonable to think that during these periods of caloric deprivation, the body would utilize its lean tissues for its caloric needs, the very lean tissues it needs in order to locomote and find more calories? that's silly! of course it won't. it'll utilize fat reserves, damaged tissues, other wastes, anything and everything except the tissues necessary for the survival of the organism. if the body didn't do this, we wouldn't be around as a species. it's not like this physiological aspect has changed during the last 10,000 years of humanoid domestication....

anyways, that's my two cents on this subject. from both personal experience and a hell of a lot of reading.

and to reiterate: the fastest way to lose fat is to stop eating, period. any other claim is just silly nonsense.

problem is finding a "good" trainer. most are probably busy working with high caliber athletes.

This is very false. The main barrier to entry is that people don't want to spend the money

i don't know, i guess i've only talked with the "personal trainers" at LA Fitness! you know any good sport climbing specific trainers? i actually don't know a single one....

I have an idea for a book: 200 pages where every page says:

EAT LESS AND EXERCISE.

I'm sure it will be a best seller.

I'm not sure it would be a best seller. People don't want to hear this advice, they want "one weird trick" and paleo diets and juice fasting and fast cures that don't involve hardwork or fewer slices of bacon

EAT LESS AND EXERCISE.

I'm not sure it would be a best seller. People don't want to hear this advice, they want "one weird trick" and paleo diets and juice fasting and fast cures that don't involve hardwork or fewer slices of bacon

I am sure eating processed food, containing growth hormone, antibiotics, artificial food coloring, phosphoric acid, BPA (just to name w few things) has nothing to do with epidemic of weight gain. I know a female marathon runner here in Bellingham. She runs marathons in around 3:05, so she doesn't lack training of fitness, but is still on fat side. Sorry, but a proper diet is equally important in weight loss.

EAT LESS AND EXERCISE.

I am sure eating processed food, containing growth hormone, antibiotics, artificial food coloring, phosphoric acid, BPA (just to name w few things) has nothing to do with epidemic of weight gain. I know a female marathon runner here in Bellingham. She runs marathons in around 3:05, so she doesn't lack training of fitness, but is still on fat side. Sorry, but a proper diet is equally important in weight loss.

It's so hard to tell, are you agreeing with me again?

they want... juice fasting and fast cures that don't involve hardwork...

you're funny. try going on a juice fast some time and see how easy it is.

and then check on some things pro cyclists do, like wiggins, since i think i saw you mention you race. if you thought outside the box a little, you might get yourself out of cat 5 someday.

I am sure eating processed food, containing growth hormone, antibiotics, artificial food coloring, phosphoric acid, BPA (just to name w few things) has nothing to do with epidemic of weight gain.

definitely not as much as simply the amount people eat.