Partner for Summer Cascade Climbs

wsj3

Howdy, I'm looking for a partner to tackle a few cascade climbs this Summer. I've climbed Mt. Adams, Mt. Washington, Shasta. I've also done big walls and a lot of free and trad climbing.

I'd like to climb St. Helens, Mt. Elinor, Mt. Hood (June/July) and after those look at doing Mt Olympus and/or Rainier (August/Sept).

I'm in good shape and 47. I have kids, so safety is a priority.

If interested, let me know.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would offer on the Rainier climb in August/September but don't have much experience on higher elevations 9,000+, I plan on a Adams climb either in June or July and was aiming for a Rainier climb with a Ranger in August(DC or Emmons)but that may not pan out (posted on the newbie forum). If a team can be put together, I would not mind getting on, if someone wouldn't mind helping a amateur climber further their training.

Would even be willing to reimburse for costs of gas, etc;.

I'd be interested in joining you this summer...I recommend the month of May for Hood though since rock fall is a serious issue on hood past May. I have quite a bit of high altitude experience having climbed in Ecuador, and climbing Shasta last summer. I've also climbed hood and Adams in the cascades along with Grand Teton, and all major peaks in Utah.

Edited by Greg V

• 2 weeks later...

Hey lamanite, I have been checking Mountain conditions and weather and i am thinking hard about next weekend Wilderness temp predicted about 60 and mountain temp 40, since you have done it before do you reccomend a night at Lunch counter or start at o dark thirty and slog out a long day.

Edited by Lonny Moore

I guess it depends on what your goals are. When I did it we camped at Lunch Counter and did a night attack kind of like Rainier. We roped up and did it as practice for Rainier which I climbed for the first time the following weekend. The bad thing about doing it that way was that everything was still frozen solid and the way down and I nearly killed myself trying to glissade. I haven't tried it as a day hike but I know people who have and I got the impression it wasn't that hard.

The trick at this time of year for adams is checking the road conditions to the trail head depending on where the road is open to will make a huge difference on whether it is a day trip or multiday trip. Usually the road doesnt open until late may june

I'm tempted to join you... camping at Lunch Counter is awesome on a clear day. I visited the climbing conditions report and it sounds like there is a road closure due to a fire that happened last year. http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/giffordpinchot/alerts-notices/?cid=stelprdb5172538

There is an alternate approach hike that adds at least 5.5 miles to the approach. Are you doing it solo?

Well it looks like solo it is, I have contacted other climbers but no go,Who does not want a big Adams snow cone on a sunny weekend? As for the fire yes I am up to speed I have talked to the rangers several times ,Not worried about the extra miles

I have been doing double MT Si hikes every other weekend all spring. Join away I welcome the company