Explanation of different types of ice

Bosterson

I'm not an ice climber and so while I get that ice comes in different forms and different degrees of solidity (just like rock!), I've seen a variety of terms on here for different types of ice and don't have a good idea of what they mean. Can anyone give me a rundown on sytrofoam vs snice vs plastic vs dinner plates, etc? Thanks!

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Waterfall ice - flowing water that freezes into ice. Like an ice cube.

Alpine ice - ice that forms from snow being compressed. like a snowcone in the freezer. in the PNW, folks often call any ice found in the mountains Alpine Ice.

Snice - a type of ice that is a mixture of snow and ice. often easy to climb, but impossible to protect.

dinner plating - a characteristic of cold, dense ice where it fractures when hit into large circular plates. Common in waterfall ice climbing.

Plastic - ice that deforms when hit instead of fracturing. This often occurs when the temperatures are near to, or above, freezing. sometimes this is called "thunker" or "hero" ice.

Styrofoam - a type of refrozen snow (not ice) caused by melting and freezing. It feels like its namesake. Often it squeaks under crampons and ice tools.

Ice is categorized by "Fuck You"s per minute.

Styrofoam (this is more a category of snow): 0 FUPM. The lead may be delayed while the leader rubs one out.

Plastic: 0 FUPM. You're indoors. They may be old people and children about.

Dinner Plate: 1-10 FUPM x 2 (both leader and belayer). Belayer should wear a face mask to protect against blood spatter.

Snice: 10-infinity FUPM - usually directed at belayer for wussing out and occasionally punctuated by a Doppler shift.