Petzl sirocco helmet

Eric K

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...

So who has one of these, how long have you had it, and how it is holding up? I fondled one in a climbing shop the other day, they seem really nice and comfortable. I know it passed all the UIAA tests, but i wonder since it doesn't have a hard shell, how does it take a blow as compared to a hardshell? I see that it will deform on a blow, and then it will retract to its original shape...which is cool, but what about my head?

Edited by olyclimber

I don't have one, but a bunch of friends do. you can sit on it, squeeze it until the sides touch each other, and bump into rock outcroppings like a uncoordinated idiot without any damage to the helmet.

When I get tired of my new BD vector (not super great) I'll be trading it in for a sirocco.

I got one and I absolutely love it. I used to only climb with a helmet when it seemed necessary, but now I have no problem using this thing for general crag climbing. It is super comfy, lightweight and keeps your head cool. I have not had any large rocks hit it but I have had some small impacts and the helmet still looks new even after being kicked around a lot. Possibly the ugliest helmet every but my favorite one to wear.

Eric

I've had this for about 6 months and taken it on some rough approaches and climbs. So far it seems to be holding up pretty well, with only minor scrapes and gouges. Overall, it is certainly the most comfortable helmet I've owned, but I do still wonder about the long term durability. Also, EPP foam has been around for a long time, so I wonder why it has taken this long to make a helmet out of it, and why only Petzl is doing it?? The hideous orange color choice (only one??) is curious as well, as I know of several partners who won't buy it, not matter how good it is.

I just bought one sight unseen and took it on a long overnight cross country solo scramble up Black Kaweah's SW chute a couple of week ago.

When it arrived in the mail and I opened the box, I pretty much felt like an idiot for blowing $120 on a piece of foam, which is pretty much all it is. But, it's a well designed and VERY lightweight functional piece of durable foam, and reflects the excellent attention to detail and design that is intrinsic to most Petzl products.

For me it's niche product for those looking for the lightest helmet possible, kind of like someone who buys a Camp Corsa ultralightweight ice axe. That axe won't replace a burly heavier steel mountaineering axe nor a techinical ice tool, but for lightweight forays where an axe is occasionally needed to negotiate steep snow terrain safely, it excels as you don't feel it on your pack on the approach. [My older mountaineering axe is a mega heavy but indestructable Stubai FKW with an extendable telescoping shaft. When I summited Denali with it in 2000, even then people were laughing at how outdated it was. Then again, I was also wearing camo pile bibs that I'd bought on the sale rack at Cabella's for $17.]

Back to the Sirocco...>Since I had about 12+ miles to hike in and much of that cross country, I didn't want to lug my trusty, dependable HEAVY old school Joe Brown helmet with me. Ugh.

The true benefit of the Sirocco is lightweight. But when comparing it to my Joe Brown, if I slam my fist hard down onto the top of my head to simulate a mild impact, I felt NOTHING with the Joe Brown as it has an inner nylon harness that supports the top of the helmet off my head and disperses the impact nicely. In contrast, the Sirocco definitely transmits the force to the top of my head and I felt pain, yes pain, just from my self inflicted blow.

So, if I'm climbing a rockfall prone route like the, um, the Eiger's North face (yea right...not), I might go with the Joe Brown. If I'm needing something ultralightweight that will protect my head if I tumble down a slope or take an upside down backwards aid fall, or take a spinning lead fall with lateral impact, or just need protection from the occasional smallish errant rocks, the Sirroco fits the bill.

In short, it serves it's role in my quiver. It's also highly visible, which can be a plus in dark and stormy conditions since most of my outerwear is dark. And the ventilation appears to work well without compromising protection.

I'll try to chime in again after I've used it some more.

Edited by bargainhunter