AT Boots for Wide Feet

SeanO

I want to get into AT but I'm curious to know who makes wider boots. As a point of reference, I tried on every "wide" downhill boot at Evo but none were wide enough for my feet without significant discomfort (props to the guys at Evo for their patience with that epic endeavor). Only boot that ended up fitting was a comfort model by Rossignol at 104mm. The volume is a little too much but the width is perfect.

I'm aware that you can get a high quality boot that's less-wide and have it punched significantly, but I was told it'd be better to start with a wider boot because of the shape of my foot.

Anyone have wide feet and can make a recommendation? Thanks.

Edited by SeanO

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have 2013 Quadrants (size 27) for my wide feet. The stock liner is still too small. I struggled with it for a while before replacing it with an Intuition liner. I tried the Dreamliner, Pro Tour, and Luxury and selected the Dreamliner (size 28). One of the foremost reasons being the thinner sole of the Dreamliner leaves more volume to better allow use of a Sole insole. I now have happy feet.

If your mostly skiing in the backcountry you might check out the Scarpa TX Pro NTN Boot. its a tele boot, and therefore has a really wide last, and fits in dynafit/tech bindings. Might also be nice for climbing/walking with the tele baffles, a little left field i know but may be worth checking out.

I have wide feet and have made TLT5s work. Lots of shell work, but now they're the most comfortable boots I've ever worn. Props to the guys at Proski for dealing with my constant reshaping of the boot (3 times).

Technica is one of the few boots that fit my feet out of the box. They have a touring line now, albeit not the lightest stuff. May be worth taking a look at.

• 3 months later...

I'm reviving this thread because I'm another fat foot, flat foot skier interested in BD Quadrants.

I've heard the latest model has a better liner than what was in older shells, but I can get the older (garish yellow)model on sale at a cheaper price. What would you think of the idea of getting the older model and putting an Intuition liner like the Alpine wrap model in it?

Price comes out about the same as the current (OU Ducks green) model, so I guess another way of asking my question is whether the current Quadrant shell/liner combo is equal in comfort/performance to a retro-fitted shell/Intuition combo?

BTW, the 25.5 shell seems to fit me best. Unfortunately, nobody around where I live puts that size in a demo line-up.

Thanks.

The new liner is OK but nothing great. Buy the older boots and upgrade the liner if you absolutely must have a high quality liner.

Suggest test fitting the liners out of a pair of maestrales in the quadrant shell you want when you're in the shop. I forget which intuition liner is in the maestrale, not sure if you can actually purchase the same liner.

I pondered the same quandary and ended up buying the newer boots (they were a good deal too) and will wait to play liner games when the stock ones pack out. Boots ski great, I bet they do with the old liner too. Wish something lighter fit my foot, but skiing sure is fun anyhow.

I have wide feet and have made TLT5s work. Lots of shell work, but now they're the most comfortable boots I've ever worn. Props to the guys at Proski for dealing with my constant reshaping of the boot (3 times).

How much can you punch out the TLT5. Someone told me the material is too thin to work with. My feet are not super wide, but my toes are if that makes sense (think duck feet) I am would love to get a lighter boot like the TLT.

To the OP, I have some BD Method boots. They were the widest used boots I could find. If weight is not an issue BD is probably the way for you to go.

Eric