How long to Snowshoe up St. Helens this weekend?

Newman55

Hoping to hike up St. Helens this Saturday on Snowshoes.

Problem is, I gotta be showered and looking handsome in Portland for a 5:30 family dinner for Easter weekend.

I know the summer trail is 10 miles round trip, 4500 feet elevation gain. I assume the winter route is comparable in distance?

I need to be pulling out of the trailhead parking lot at 3:00 to give myself time to shower/change in PDX. So if I start up the trail at 6:00 am, that gives me about 8 hours to make it to/from my car, if I give myself an hour total for breaks and lunch.

I need to know how long I can expect the round trip to take on snowshoes. Anyone done it recently?

Thanks!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I did it with a group of mine early march. Go to my profile and see it if you want. We left around 6:00 am and didn't get back till 4:00 at the parking lot. Leave as early as you can because there will be people. I think the earlier the better. If you can sleep there before and then get a good start. If you have crampons put them on early and especially before the last steep section. Snowshoes can get you up but crampons will be easier

Darren

Dchromey,

Thanks, yeah I'd already checked your trip report, which was helpful.

How long is the portion of the route that passes through the trees?

If I can leave the snowshoes behind that would be optimal for weight savings, I'd be glad to go up on just crampons as long as I'm not going to have to slog through soft snow for too long before I begin the ascent.

Right now I'm planning on staying the night at the TH and begining the climb around 4am - 11 hours round trip should be plenty of time - especially if I can glissade part of the descent.

The trail through the trees is longer than I thought, it was a couple miles before it broke out. If there's been people out the night before with a good boot pack you should be good without snowshoes. 4 am sounds like a good start, if your in good shape you can get out of the trees and onto the route. I had crampons not snowshoes. Im not sure how much you use snowshoes but i dont think there necessary. Put the crampons on early and be safe!

unless Dchromey is speaking from experience from a recent trip, I'd bring floatation of some kind. Last year early season on St Helens was almost an epic for some folks in our party who did not bring snowshoes. postholing on alll the flat approach and even more so on the flat walk out. Bring slowshoes and stash then at the base of the climb for that walk out... better yet bring skis.