Where to try out new gear

mkd

I've been reading up about mountaineering for a while and finally bought myself some boots, an ice ax and crampons. While one day I dream of summitting Mt Hood, I guess I shouldn't try it on day one. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of places not too far from Portland that might offer the sort of steep snowy conditions I'd need to practice some basic techniques in a reasonably safe setting?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been reading up about mountaineering for a while and finally bought myself some boots, an ice ax and crampons. While one day I dream of summitting Mt Hood, I guess I shouldn't try it on day one. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of places not too far from Portland that might offer the sort of steep snowy conditions I'd need to practice some basic techniques in a reasonably safe setting?

The only place anywhere near Portland with any snow is, in fact, Mount Hood..

The Timberline Lodge parking lot is where many tens of thousands of aspirant mountain climbers have learned to self-arrest and dig snow graves and such.. just cruise on up and have at it.

yup, that's it - i suppose st helens is fewer miles as the crow flies, but hood's easier to get to and has slopes right out of the p-lot ideal for your purposes - shit, just tumble out and walk as far uphill as you feel comfortable! :)

As said above just find a steep slope around Timberline to play on. Two pieces of advice though pick an open slope - i.e. watch out tree wells they can be deadly. Also when sliding around with crampons on pick up your feet lest you want a broken ankle. Other than that the Mazamas and other organizations often offer snow safety courses.