Ice Flow Maintenance

Bronco

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bronco,

The ice on those variations to G1 is formed by diverting the creek. I beieved the guy who put it in set it up so that the water can sort of be turned on or off, by rediverting it. they will turn it off during the day while climbing, and on at night to let it fatten up.

I'm pretty sure this is what he ment, but I could be wrong. Did you catch the guys name?

I'm pretty sure this is what he ment, but I could be wrong. Did you catch the guys name?

Nope, but he was definetly a local yahoo.

Thank for the info, I wasn't sure if it was just something they did at that specific flow or if it's just general courtesy at any ice climb when you can divert some water onto the face at the end of the day.

fruit.gif

My buddy Derek initiated that whole diversion process a long time ago, and it created quite the local controversy. Season after season he would rebuild it, and it would be torn down by rightious activist types. Eventualy he filled the diversion channels in with cement. He carried all the bags of concrete up there on his back in the summer. After that people gave up tearing it down, and now lots of climbers have a blast going up those pilers. Overall it doesn't really alter the watershed, much.

Edited by Lambone