count your blessings

max

I just moved from Bellingham to Boulder CO. All I want to tell you folks is:

1. CO isn't as awsome as people make it out to be. Don't get me wrong, this place rocks, but it might not be the promised land you think it is. Which actually leads to my second point...

2. PNW frickin' rocks the alpine. CO has 1.5 glaciers and a couple of pathetic snow fields. I've been troppin around a fair amount and I just keep asking myself "where are the icefalls?" Where's the gapping crevasse? What about lush alpine meadows? Roaring rivers?" Like I say, CO's got some pretty cool stuff, but don't let any SUV driving yuppy go on too long about how dank CO is for climbers.

3. We'll see how things are come ice season!

just sharing,

dave

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't go TELLING people in a public venue like this! Geez!

Hey, everyone, the Cascades suck, if you want real rock and ice action, move to Colorado! All those fourteeners! You can bag three a day!

You Colorado climbers, you'll hate it here. Really. Stay there. Or California: that's great too. Better rock, less crowded.

All in all, I believe the NW to be the best place to call home, but I've lived here a long time, and I'm accustomed to the DREARY WINTERS. I attended and graduated from UW, and met many who SUFFERED during the "monsoon season." A close friend battled fairly severe depression each winter (he was from the Sacramento Valley). He told me that it was monumentally challenging to NOT SEE THE SUN for several weeks. (I, on the other hand, took it all in stride. . . . A matter of perspective).

another pilgrim to the collective conciousness known as boulder, i see. you know if the clouds part just right you can actually see out to the real world. but you do have more rock in your backyard than you can imagine and there is neptune mountaineering to boot--time out for a shameless plug. well enjoy the winter, they sure do last long out there.