Change out Sidelock for HeelLock?

Jon H

I have a pair of Sidelock Darts that I would really like to convert to the normal Heel Lock style crampon. I can't get a good fit at all on my Phantom Guides.

What are my best options? I haven't been able to find Petzl heels or heel levers for sale independently. Anyone have any ideas?

It appears that the SideLock has been discontinued by Petzl. Anyone know why? Safety or it just (understandably) sold poorly?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I've heard that SideLock had a more finicky fit. While it's not exactly a safety issue with the right boots, it could be if you're using it with boots that don't fit.

I also could be a marketing issue. I've never actually seen them for sale anywhere besides the internet.

Anecdotally, my Darts with Sidelocks have had repeated issues with the plastic pull tab handle breaking off. Petzl has been great in helping me replace the bail each time - but I see it as a flawed design for sure.

A Heel Lock replacement kit would be great!