Are there ice walls on Rainer worth top roping?

Joseph Hill

Looking to find some top-ropable ice... anywhere. We don't have high standards right now... even if it was only 10-15 feet and protectable we'll take it. Are you guys aware of any spots on Rainier that are reasonably accessible for this? I'd like to avoid rapelling into a crevasse or bergshrund as I'll have beginners with me.

PS... Rainier is what comes to my mind, but I'll take anything anywhere south of Canada at this point.

Thanks,

Joseph

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just spoke with Glen, one of the many noble Rainier climbing rangers and he was really not confident that we'd find terrain really anywhere. There's too much snow, and the rain/snow level is indeed at 7000' right now. #WhyGodWhy?

So Alpetal might be an option if it remains in. Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Joseph

• 3 weeks later...

I was at Baker last weekend and we top-roped the Pan Dome icefall. It was in good condition, I would recommend it for getting on some decent ice. You will need to either climb to the top (almost a full pitch) or rap from above. If you do top rope it, you'll need two ropes.