Washingtonian wants to conquer Shasta!

Dchromey

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

okay next year everyone! i was not able to get down there, but in may or june for next year im available for mt. shasta, either avy gulch or casaval ridge. If anyone from Washington is going down there next year, hope you wouldnt mind if i could tag along.

Thanks everyone!

Just saw this thread...sorry it didn't work out for you! Shasta is a beautiful, gentle, giant of a mountain. It's my favorite of the Cascades, and I've climbed most of 'em.

Rainier is a great challenge, but Shasta, if you get off the Avy Gulch, isn't to be underestimated. And there are some cool glaciers on it as well....the Whitney, for one. Hotlum and Bolam as well.... I'm with you on the skiing thing....enjoy the quiet and the solitude....no rush. Hope you're able to get up there next year...I'm planning to climb Casaval Ridge in Winter or Spring, but wouldn't recommend that as your first ascent.....good luck!

• 4 weeks later...

I'm going to be around the sac/tahoe area the first half of october and I'm considering driving up to shasta and hiking the avy gulch.

I wasn't planning on bringing all of my snowboard gear with me, but am I going to want crampons? Would carrying just an ice ax and hiking in trail runners be alright?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

With all the snow that has been piling up, it will be a good time this year. Just kidding...there is no snow up there...their drought has hit mt. Shasta hard. It will likely be a scramble up this year. Or grab the last years of Shasta's glacier on the north side!

http://news.yahoo.com/bare-mount-shasta-reveals-california-drought-severity-193653752.html