Fixing small holes in stretchy synthetic clothing

PandaExpress

Does anyone have any advice on how to fix small holes in clothing quickly and easily? Arcteryx has finally cut me off from repairing holes on their pants so I need to patch them myself. I noticed on previous repairs they seemed to use some sort of small transparent patch, like tape to fix small holes.

I'm doing something similar using tenacious tape as a temporary fix. Does anyone know of the best way of making permanent repairs?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For small holes and even some larger ones Seam grip is really one of the best ways. if you can access the back side of the fabric i usually put a small piece of masking tape over the hole. trim and frayed or loose threads a the hole to help avoid having them stick up. A dab of seam grip covering approx twice the size of the hole. If you are in a rush or on a trip and need to enact this repair , mix a small amount of water into the seam grip and then apply. the water acts as a drying accelerant to speed the cure time. when dry pull of the masking tape. This is far more effective long term than any of the patching materials.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't know if this is the case with Arcteryx, but with Patagonia they started using less durable fabric with their base layers. I have 12 year old Patagonia base layers and they are still usable with just a few small holes. More recent Patagonia stuff gets small and large holes within 6 months. You have to buy at REI so you can return no problem.

Looks suspiciously like planned obsolescence.