newbie looking for warm winter boots

picard120

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

it kinda depends on your preference. I have the La sportiva Nepal Evos and went to rainier and they kept my feet warm. You can either have leather or plastic boots. Plastic may be a bit heavier but you gotta have two socks definitely. Make sure to get a half size up from your regular walking or hiking shoes.

Most single all-round mountaineering boots are warm enough for winter in the Cascades. I've not needed a double boot until well below 0-fahrenheit. Sportiva, Scarpa, Technica, Boreal, Vasque, Lowa, Hanwag, Raichle, Kayland, all make excellent boots -- try on as many as you can find, and buy the one that feels like you were born in it. For a newbie, I would not recommend the integral neoprene gaiter style. I've seen too many friends rip the snot out of them. Warranties are of little value when your gear fails two days from the road... A seamless leather upper like the Sportiva Nepal will outlast anything else, but will also be heavier than synthetic. Ultralight-high-performance must be balanced against long-haul durability.

Most single all-round mountaineering boots are warm enough for winter in the Cascades. I've not needed a double boot until well below 0-fahrenheit. Sportiva, Scarpa, Technica, Boreal, Vasque, Lowa, Hanwag, Raichle, Kayland, all make excellent boots -- try on as many as you can find, and buy the one that feels like you were born in it. For a newbie, I would not recommend the integral neoprene gaiter style. I've seen too many friends rip the snot out of them. Warranties are of little value when your gear fails two days from the road... A seamless leather upper like the Sportiva Nepal will outlast anything else, but will also be heavier than synthetic. Ultralight-high-performance must be balanced against long-haul durability.

Thanks for this rundown! I'm planning a Rainier trip in late Aug or Early Sept. I'm assuming my Single boots will be fine for then.