[TR] Crook Glacier, Broken Top, Sisters Wilderness - Crook Glacier attempt 2/28/2013

bedellympian

Trip: Crook Glacier, Broken Top, Sisters Wilderness - Crook Glacier attempt

Date: 2/28/2013

Trip Report:

I headed up to Broken Top last Sunday. The forecast called for 28F. I wanted to try summit Broken Top from the south via the Crook Glacier and ski down as much as was feasible.

Weather was way warmer than expected (60+!?). I watched a large avalanche on the south face and saw lots of other signs of unstable snow. After skiing around the glacier I got a short run on a NE aspect and went home.

It's been a warm couple months but hopefully March will cool off and provide good skiing and climbing conditions in the area.

You can check out photos and my melodramatic dribble about the trip on my blog... Mountain Mischief

Gear Notes:

AT skis that are well waxed for sticky warm snow. I had vert dual point pons and tools but didnt use them. Given the right conditions you could do any type of climbing and skiing you want... if you are willing to pack in the gear.

Approach Notes:

Park at Bachelor, XC ski trail to Flagline, snow mobile road to wilderness boundary at Ball Butte, b-line for the glacial bowl from there. Hitching rides with snow mobilers helps.

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days