[TR] Frey - northern patagonia - various - alpine cragging 12/10/2012

Trip: Frey - northern patagonia - various - alpine cragging

Date: 12/10/2012

Trip Report:

heres a little video i threw together of beau's and my couple day stay in frey, down in patagonia this past dec. We were fortunate enough to find good weather during our time there and were able to get on several good routes. super rad zone, with a really cool vibe.

Video:

Edited by tmccrea4

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great video! I’m in Bariloche now and have made three trips to Frey so far so I really enjoyed your video, particularly since I was able to recognize routes I’ve climbed. What an amazing playground it is!

I will have to say it is largely wasted on me since I’m a beginning trad climber and most of the climbs are beyond my abilities. That and lack of a climbing partner forced me to hire a climbing guide, which was worth every penny - both for the great experience he provided and for all I learned from him. I’m getting pretty good at finding the easy stuff (f5+), but pickings are slim in the Frey Valley for those grades.

I recognized the view of Cerro Tronador and Puntiagudo (from the summit of Torre Principal?) as well as Diedro de Jim on Aguja Frey. Great style on the fisura! I was unable to climb that splitter without keeping my right leg out for an outrigger, to keep from barn-dooring to the right. Then it looks like you were on the Sifuentes-Weber route on Aguja Frey after that?

Since your video was made all but one tiny patch of snow in the valley had melted by early February as most of January was very warm. The lake is now so low that the refugio can’t make hydro power so no lights at night. It snowed briefly last week and more is on the way so the days of lounging around shirtless at the refugio waiting for the mid-day heat to pass are gone.

I'll second the "really cool vibe". I’ve had a great time hanging out with Frederico, Bosquo, and Nahuel, as well as Emilio the Frey cat and all the visiting climbers at Refugio Frey. Thanks for the video. I have no way to make a video so it serves as great documentation to remind me of the fun I’ve had so far.