Mixed/dry tooling area recommendations

pdepape

Any good recommendations for beginner dry tooling areas? (I just moved to the area)

Would like to start with TR; Near Tacoma/Seattle.

Anything good off of Exit-38?

Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

Thank's guys.

Edited by pdepape

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes, there is some basic drytooling up at 38' called "Blackice Drytoolong crag", basically a set of kind of slabby, junky TR problems no one cares about wrt crampon marks.

there is also a 2-3 line crag just outside issaquah on SR900 on sandstone of all things, with long but somewhat obscure local history, but with decent enuff stone and bolts (re)placed by yours truly that should make it safe to both tr and lead

there is kind of more real drytooling at Rap Wall up at Alpental, btu snow is deep now so your mileage may vary

• 7 months later...

Some history about the dry tooling area on SR 900. Alex and I were working construction together some 16+ years ago. Driving by we stopped to take a look and do a bit of bouldering. There were top rope bolts and some really poorly placed 1/4" protection bolts. Some time later I convinced Alex to check it out again for dry tooling potential. He saw potential and cleaned and bolted it for leading.