tent for rainier in july

jon connors

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Matt is correct. most light wt 3 season tents do not do well - mostly due to high winds, they will be shredded or flatened. Those that survive have been guy lined and anchored down well, with snow wall protection.

Basically the main difference in 3 season vs 3-4 is the added pole structure and less mesh. Of course the extra poles add 1-1.5 lbs but may be worth it, as I have seen several tents go on Rainier. Some examples are the 3-4 season REI Arete ASL and MSR Fury. It's when you go to a full 4 season tent the cost is higher and the extra weight.

At 41oz, this is considered a one season tent for light weight trail hiking - even the typical 3 season tent would be better for Rainier in July.

If you want to go light- save your money and buy a bivy sack as mentioned above.

tvashtarkenta says they blow away while up on the climb - I've seen that happen, when you return from the climb and everything is gone, it's pretty disturbing.

I also awoke one night with lots of yelling and screaming going on - a guy got up to go pee and his girl friend in the flimsy tent was blown down the slippery slope toward a crevasse. Luckily someone tackled the tent and girl inside - not a good night, not to mention a ruined trip. In high winds of 50-60 mph, they need to be bomb proof.

Of course the extra poles add 1-1.5 lbs but may be worth it, as I have seen several tents go on Rainier. Some examples are the 3-4 season REI Arete ASL and MSR Fury. It's when you go to a full 4 season tent the cost is higher and the extra weight.

Wow, really? I mean, MSR sells it as a fully featured 4-season expedition tent, and now you've got me looking at my Stardome in the closet (what it was sold as under Moss) and questioning its utility. Really gotta get my other 4-season tent in for repairs then.

Of course the extra poles add 1-1.5 lbs but may be worth it, as I have seen several tents go on Rainier. Some examples are the 3-4 season REI Arete ASL and MSR Fury. It's when you go to a full 4 season tent the cost is higher and the extra weight.

Wow, really? I mean, MSR sells it as a fully featured 4-season expedition tent, and now you've got me looking at my Stardome in the closet (what it was sold as under Moss) and questioning its utility. Really gotta get my other 4-season tent in for repairs then.

Sorry - looks like something got left out of my post. I meant to say that "here's a couple of 3/4 season tents that may do well". It's all in the guying down and snow bag anchors as mentioned. Moss tents were bomber.

While a 4 season tent by Hilleberg and the like will certainly work well, it really depends on how flexible you are and how much of a weather weenie you tend to be. Forecasts during the summer tend to be pretty accurate 24-48 hrs in advance, and I typically don't even bother driving down to Rainier if the weather is less than perfect (no clouds, low (<30mph) winds). Under these relatively common summertime conditions, you could use a Walmart pup tent (properly guyed).