Vantage Fundraiser March 20th

jpark42

The Washington Climbers Coalition (WCC) presents a night of drinking, raffling, dancing, and general tom foolery with the proceeds benefiting Vantage climbing area.

Tickets are $15 dollars in adv and $20 at the door and score you a complimentary beer ticket (Beer provided by Second Ascent) and access to the sweet tunes of Buzz Brump and Airport Way. Tickets can be purchased by clicking the link marked TICKETS!!!:

TICKETS!!!!

Doors open at 730pm

Ages: 21+

Questions: Contact Jeremy Park at jpark1199@gmail.com

The Vantage Fundraiser is a joint project put together by the WCC, American Alpine Club, The Mountaineers, and Access Fund. The projects ultimate goal is to gather enough funds so Washington State Fish & Wildlife can build a permit toilet facility at Vantage climbing area. For more details on this project please check out the Vantage Toilet Fund webpage at:

Toilet Webpage

Also this project wouldn't have been possible without the support of the project sponsors. Feel free to support these awesome organizations at the links below:

AAC

The Mountaineers

Access Fund

WCCFUND.jpg

Edited by jpark42

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GREAT JOB TEAM! This is sooo needed.

I can't help but notice the fact that the imagine toilet here location in the flyer would be in the classic Frenchman's Coulee photo shot.

~IS this the proposed location? I just want to clarify the location.

Why not put said toilet over in the SE corner of lot across the small access road/hill from the kiosk? I.E. where the old honey bucket was located. Much more aesthetically placed IMHO.

Also, is it only 1 vault or 2 for $50,000?

Lastly, why is it so many of you call it Vantage?

The guide books call it Frenchman's Coulee and the climbing is closer to George, WA. Never made sense to me.

Hey all, we are now about $35,000 toward our goal of $50,000. Come ond down to Fremont and help us close out the campaingn on March 20.

bwrts,

the project has a lot of expenses beyond just a toilet. We have already spent several thousand dollars on a cultural survey and site exploration just to get it to the point where we have somebody at Fish and Wildlife able to actively move ahead.

Fish and Wildlife owns the land and they choose the site.

As to why call it Vantage? My own reason would be that most people call it that. You are correct that the guidebook says Frenchman's Coulee and I understand why that may make sense to you (although most of the climbs are in Echo Basin, not Frenchman Coulee). "Vantage" may be "wrong" but more people know what we are talking about than if we called it "Frenchman's Coulee."

The conversation often goes like this:

"Can you help us with our toilet project at Frenchman's Coulee?"

"Where?"

"You know: Vantage."

"Oh. Yeah. That place needs a toilet."

Yes, this is a great cause.

I believe that the Access Fund and the Spokane branch of the Mountaineers have been trying to get Fish and Wildlife to consider a toilet there for well over a decade but it was only last year that someone from the Seattle Mountaineers was able to secure a meeting and we are moving ahead.

Go to www.washingtonclimbers.org and you'll find a link on our front page to a pay pal account where you can donate.

Gorge concerts create lots of dirtbag camping epics on select weekends. Perhaps they would be willing to chip in a bit for the Sasquatch and Dave Matthews types whose only hardware is in the form of piercings but would use the john if it was there. Regulars at the concerts know the Vantage climbing area is a zero cost camping area and that is not going to change.

TP under every sage from non climbers has got to change.

Edited by matt_warfield

Let me add, in response to Steve's post, that I provided a link to the WCC page where there is in turn a paypal link. If you read our site you find this out but here's an important point: as long as we are engaged in this Vantage fundraising effort all donations received there go directly to the Vantage toilet effort unless the donor tells us they are to be designated for another purpose.

Also, you should know that, even when this fundraising effort has concluded, we are an all volunteer organization and don't maintain an office. All donations go directly to to Washington climbing area access and stewardship efforts.

• 3 weeks later...

Frenchman-Coulee-Foster.jpg Photo from hugefloods.com

A good time was had by all and the Washington Climbers Coalition is several thousand dollars closer to bringing a toilet to Vantage. Sarah Kreuger at the Mountaineers got a special award for service. American Alpine Club and Access Fund were there to represent and Second Ascent helped make sure nobody got thirsty.

Vantage is clearly NOT visible in that picture. I see both Frenchman Coulee and Echo Coulee but NOT Vantage. So why call it Vantage? Because that's what "everybody" calls it? I think not. And why should you do what "everybody" does, if it's WRONG? That's probably what lots of nice Germans did they were thinking about joining the Nazis - why? - because everybody is doing it! Just because wetsiders who don't know the actual name of geographic features choose to name climbing areas for the last town they drive through doesn't mean it's the right thing to do. As an east-sider, I think I'm going to call Seattle "Issaquah", cause it's the last dumpy town I drive through before I get there. BTW I just heard from some of you Issaquah guys about a cool new climbing area down south called "Terrebonne" - sounds pretty cool...