[TR] Mt Hood - Ski Circumnavigation 2/15/2013

The Cascade Kid

Trip: Mt Hood - Ski Circumnavigation

Date: 2/15/2013

Trip Report:

On the 15th of February under bluebird skies, E. Linck and I made a circumnavigation of Mt Hood on skis at roughly the 8000' level. Mr Linck knows a little something about volcalo circumnavigations as the current record holder for circumnavigating Mt Ranier's wonderland trail unsupported (running for 27 hrs? Please.) and I know a little bit about skiing and glaciers. It was a good team for the task.

8479561451_b0fea93d65_k.jpg

As previously reported, conditions were ideal for distance travel, if not for skiing. The turns were good on the Reid glacier, but the stiff surface made for quick travel.

We made the circumnavigation (10.8 mi, ~7200') in 08:00:28.

This is an amazing way to spend the day and see aspects of the mountain that you would never otherwise see.

8481552824_e4dcce369a_k.jpg

TR and Photographs

Route Beta.

This trip opened my eyes to the adventure that is available to us locally. So many people climb the South side of Hood and think that they've been there done that. The South side is a good place to learn some skills, but Hood would be a really boring mountain if that's all there was to it.

This probably applies to our other local destinations. What else is being ignored? Get after it.

Gear Notes:

Skinny skis, nylon skins, wish we had ski crampons, which would have taken off more than 1 hr.

Didn't rope for skiing on glaciers. Roped on the Ladd glacier when walking. Fast-walked through serac zones.

Approach Notes:

1:35 to I-rock from the parking lot. Our approach was light and as fast as possible. Go slow to go fast.

Edited by The Cascade Kid

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats on a super day! I did it in the opposite direction in January 1986. I count it as one of the greatest days of adventure in my life. Your time killed mine. I was alone and it took 12 hours to the minute. It struck me as such an exceptional trip that I could not help but imagine an orbit of Adams would be at least as exquisite. After four attempts over eighteen years I succeeded in February 2005 taking 3 days, though on snowshoes rather than skis because of the icy conditions. If this was Europe these would be two of the greatest and most well known and travelled alpine tours in the world, fantastic terrain and minimal avalanche exposure. Good weather essential! You are correct with a "little imagination the adventure never needs to end". I would love to meet Link as I have also run the Wonderland Trail and done speed climbs on Rainier. Take care out there, Matt