Photo post for favorite climbing/skiing vehicle

sepultura

Ok no prizes except for the satisfaction of a job well done.

How about a post devoted to photos of readers beloved vehicles? For example:

This is Sketchy, a 1988 Subaru who is 197,000 miles young. Sketchy was abandoned in my yard years ago and brought back to full health with a little love and parts. Now Sketch lives full time in Dutch Harbor Alaska after being brought up to the Aleutian Island on the deck of a fishing vessel. She faithfully waits by the dock, rusting, for me to return every fishing season to drive her into the nearby by mountains for climbing and skiing adventures(and parts runs for the boat). Eventually I will probably end up putting my feet through her rusted out floor pans, but with a little fabrication she will continue to roll. It is nice when her moldy carpet freezes up for the winter and the mildew stench subsides for a while. Her boat primer paint job, brushed on with love has lost some of its luster but Sketchy still shines!IMG_10083.jpg

Edited by sepultura

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, no pics, but I named my Volvo with 250,000 miles "The Deerkiller" from an incident on the way to Smith through the res at night. It developed electrical problems and I had to give the old girl up since bailing wire and duct tape didn't work. I traded it in and the dealer declined to take pictures of her body but did take pictures of the tires, the most valuable part. I got $200.

It was poignant because I had windows broken and two stereros stolen at climbing parking areas and also remember the roof lining detaching on a trip and hanging low to obscure the faces of the back seat occupants for better or worse.

Back to the stero issue. The two aftermarket stereos were stolen within a week of each other (Vantage and E38). I went back to the stereo store and paid them to reinstall the original (crappy) Volvo stereo that nobody would want to make sure it was a bulletproof trailhead car.

Edited by matt_warfield

No pics either but my first summer in Alaska I bought an old Datsun B210, complete with rotted out Fred Flinstone floorboards. Every time you hit a puddle, you get splashed in the face w mud. I paid $400 for it and put 10,000 miles on it in about 3 months. I got towed once for parking in front of Chilkoot Charlies and had to pay more than the car was worth just to get my climbing gear back. The u-joint finally went out going about 70 MPH on the drive home from the Talkeetna Music Festival, freaking the shite out of my passenger when the axle came slamming up and down into the passenger compartment. After that, I sold it to a guy for $20 who had a half dozen of em. Good times. Kind of sucked push starting it all summer, especially near the end when it was getting cold.

My other favorite was a sweet 87 Landcruiser. Great climbing rig.

DSC030571.JPG

awesome idea for a thread!

my '89 saab 900, "the tank". bought it for $500, and it eventually developed "car colon cancer" (exhaust problem).

it became known for setting off car alarms when passing parked vehicles due to its operating volume.

the good: huge, flat space for gear and sleeping in the back. comfortable, heated seats.

the thing i don't miss so much: sloping roof made it impossible to put people taller than 5'7" in the back seat. driving up hwy 20 with 4 people and gear was ...challenging.

the car got cash-for-clunkered, and the beast fetched a $4500 credit towards my mom's new honda fit. it had 279k miles on the odometer.

emotional goodbye. it was july. the car was extremely hot.

IMG_0459.JPG

FGW, clearly that truck is aid.

Here's my old rig, a 67 bus: last year for a split screen but first year for factory 12 volt wiring. For time reference, the young lad on the right is now 31, and 3 of 4 people are wearing old Scumbag fleece jackets from way back when I sewed gear instead of ran a construction company.

oldvanattouloumne.jpg

• 1 month later...

Again, no pics but after getting my license back (1 yr. suspension: don't ask) I now have a '92 Camry with 200K miles. And while some SUVs and late model sedans may pass me on the way to the trailhead, I will pass them on the trail. It's not eye candy or trying to make an impression, it's point A to point B to get to what is important.

Edited by matt_warfield

Speaking of car alarms, I had a green Honda Accord EX with an aftermarket Clifford Alarm. Holy Motha of Gawd that alarm pissed off/scared the shit out of so many people. What it would do was after the car sat for a little bit (like 2-3 minutes) the alarm would activate automatically if all doors were closed.

The guy who loved it the most though was Jeff Hansel. It seems like every time we went climbing the situation would arise where Jeff would try to get into the car (unlocked) while I was away on the can or in the store. And then the alarm would go off, sometimes for a while. This would not please the Hansel. He hated the f'king car.

Other adventures we had in it were braffing on the jeep trails behind Skull Hollow well after midnight. We even found some big log out there we dragged back to camp to burn. Almost got high centered a couple of times.

Also, on the way out to Index we stopped for gas at the Safeway on Lake Shitty Way. For some reason I left if fueling up and went to get something to eat in the store while Jeff and Pax where out with the car. Well of course the alarm came on and some guy got SUPER pissed that the car was blocking his way to get gas. A good time was had by all.