Leavenworth conditions

Adam5

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was on February Buttress on Sunday. Conditions were beautiful, the south-facing rock is getting a lot of sun. It looks like this coming weekend is shaping up to be just as nice there too.

February Buttress is half-visible from the 76 gas station, it's the dry rock gently sloping from the right.

2013-02-17_09_41_54_We_lucked_out_with_the_weather.jpg

This is where the 1st pitch of Ground Hog Day starts:

2013-02-17_14_01_28_The_finger_crack_just_left_of_the_rope_is_the_real_1st_pitch_of_GHD.jpg

Ground Hog Day, viewed from the side

2013-02-17_14_03_34_Can_you_spot_Tristan_up_there.jpg

This is where Aquarius starts. Notice the bolt on the face? Neither did I at the time.

2013-02-17_16_06_03_Apparently_this_is_where_Aquarius_starts_Notice_the_low_bolt_Neither_did_we.jpg

To start Aquarius, stand where our rope touches the ground here:

2013-02-17_16_07_50_If_you_go_climb_Aquarius_start_where_our_rope_touches_the_ground_here.jpg

Yep its early Spring-like Conditions out there. South facing slopes fairly dry..cold in the am tho, 26F currently at my house, southeast of town, in the shade.

The Ski Hill is now closed for the season due to lack of Snow.

I hope we get a bit more snow, the Leavenworth Winter Sports Club x-c trails have been superb.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

Thinking to head up from Portland this weekend. Has anyone been up on Dragontail/Colchuck. What kind of conditions are to be found out there? Hoping to do either Dragontail or Serpentine...

Or perhpas Ingalls Peak - is it possible to access the trailhead?

Thanks all,

Drew

It's still winter up there. Road is still gated pending final snowmelt as well as the USFS needing to saw down dangerous forest-fire snags along the trail to 8-mile lake.

You will not suffer crowds on serpentine arete.