Climbing gear with smoke/fire damage?

brionifitch

I had a fire in my garage last weekend, which is where I had my climbing gear stowed... My ropes and webbing were hanging the wall near the source of the fire and visually, they all look fine, but the insurance adjustor told me he didn't think they would be safe to use again. There was a helmet about a foot closer to the fire and it melted partially, but like I said I didn't see any sheath melting on the ropes. Would there be any issue with smoke damage or unseen damage from heat do you think? Also I had some biners hanging from some slings in the rafters and the slings were completely toasted but the biners were just blackened from smoke. With that amount of heat applied would there be any issue with those? Couldn't really find anything by searching google. I mean I wouldn't really mind a couple new ropes I suppose... :grin:

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nylon's properties begin to degrade at temps above 190F. EPS (thin shell helmets) begins to soften at around 212F. The 6000 or 7000 series AL alloys used for biners can change properties due to heat aging at temps as low as 250 F - well below the flame temperature required for charring. Since the price of guessing wrong here is death or maiming - of yourself or someone else, new stuff might be a good option.

You can sell a used rope on craigslist for about 30 bucks - boaters love em. Just disclose the history so that the buyer doesn't use it as a tow/anchor line or other critical, high stress application.

Edited by tvashtarkatena