Fitting narrow boots

Alan Trick

I've been using Dynafit Zzeus boots for a year now and they fit me perfectly. The other day I ordered some new TLT5 Performance boots in the same size, only to find out that they fit quite differently. The main problem is that they're too narrow.

I really like these boots, and I'm tempted to try a size or half a size larger; however, that would result in a bunch of space in front of my toes. Has anyone ever skied in boots like that? Do blisters become a problem?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I went from Zzero's to the TLT5 with similar results. Now I'm thinking I could've gone smaller on the TLT's. The TLT's were painful on the first two or three tours but now seem like they have too much room in the toes. Now considering downsizing.

You might wear them around a bit and see if the liners pack out in the right places. Make sure you have a good footbed that supports your foot correctly.

Make sure you have the right shell size. My Zero 4s are a full shell size smaller than my TlT 5s. I bought what fit and then found out I was just lucky and hit the right shell size (BSL). I am a 28 in the Zero 4 Carbon and a 29 in the TlT.

I climb and ski in my TLT5s and they work fine.

This is the shell chart..worth looking at in detail. Then go by your gut not the number on your boot. Your feet will be happier.

http://media.dynafit.com/PDF/Conversion_Chart_Boots.pdf

Thanks guys,

I ended up going into a store (instead of online) and trying out some boots. It turns out the TLT5 Performance is more narrow than the other TLT5 boots (and the ZZeus boot too), more like the Dyna Evo line, I think. I got a TLT5 Mountain boot which fits how I'm used to. Not quite as fancy but still suites my needs as a ski mountaineering boot.

Thanks guys,

It turns out the TLT5 Performance is more narrow than the other TLT5 boots

That is not correct. All the TLT 5s models use the same sizing and molds on the shells. Only the material in the upper cuff is different. Sizing is not. Not even close to the EVO shell in size or how narrow it is. EVO is a LOT more narrow and a shorter boot internally as well. The inner boot on the TLT 5 P and TLT Mountain TF (is much thinner and fully foam) and needs to be heat molded or it will never fit properly. The Mountain TFX ]/b] liner is a more traditional liner, colder in use and easier to fit most people without molding. The TFX is the liner supplied with the TLT 5 Mountiain sold in in North America. Anyone in sales that doesn't know that and make an effort to expalain it correctly isn't doing anyone any favors. At the price points of these boots you would think/hope it general knowledge by now.

Like almost any modern ski boot, you buy the correct size and then have them professionally fit.

As I said the TLT 5 shells are exactly the same size between the Mtn and the P. If you are a full size as a 27/28/29 the liner will be really tight as the shells only come in full sizes. The foam liners on the P is pre molded for length (not fit) to allow the bigger 1/2 sizes. But the shell of say a 28 and a 28.5 are the same shell.

28.5 or 28 refers to the liner size. Shells are sized by mm of length, sometimes called sole length.

My TLTs are 28.5 liners with 307 mm sole length, for example. The sole length should be stamped on the shell somewhere. It's true that one shell size will fit two liners (often the difference between liner half sizes is merely the thickness of the removable footbed), but not all companies group 28 + 28.5 into the same shell, as does Dynafit. Scarpa groups a 27.5 and 28 into the same shell - different convention. Each make should provide a chart that matches sole length to liner size.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

I was only refering to the TLT 5 shells. As an example the Dynafit DyNA shells break on the half size. So in that boot a 26.5 and a 27 are the same shells. No company is immune.

Best imo to take a close look at and then pay attention to the Dynafit sizing chart and the distinct differences in sizing there.

http://media.dynafit.com/PDF/Conversion_Chart_Boots.pdf

You realise of course it is unlikely that your bindings will fit both a Zuess and a properly fit TLT? But You might get lucky!

For the other manufactures (which are all some what different in sizing) you are on your own for good fit reference data.

Sole length, actual foot size and the the inner boot volume size stamped on the inner boot has little to do with actual fit. Nice starting reference but not much else if you are making a switch from one boot to the next..even with in the same brand.

As an example I wear different over all boot sole length and boot size in the Dynafit DyNA 309mm/29.5, the Zero 316mm/28 and the TLT 317/29 and a different size yet in the BD Prime.