Ha-ro from North Korea!

tvashtarkatena

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently it's easier for some to rehash the shortcomings of a decades defunct system and warning of its lurking around every corner than addressing the ongoing, present day crises, contradictions, and gross predations arising from ones own. Gotta trot out Stalin when Obama starts gettin' uppity, dontcha know!

Shin Dong-hyuk gave testimony of human rights abuses inflicted on him or witnessed by him as prisoner in Kaechon camp:[1]

When his mother and brother attempted to escape, Shin was thrown into a small underground cell, where it is impossible to either stand or lie down, and was kept there and tortured for eight months.[10]

Shin described how, at the age of 14, he was completely stripped, his legs cuffed and hands tied, and suspended from the ceiling of his cell. His torturers then lit up a charcoal fire under his back and forced a hook into his skin so that he could not struggle.[11] He still has a number of large scars from the flesh burned and from many other abuses.[12]

Later Shin was forced to watch the execution of his mother Chang Hye-kyong by hanging and his brother Shin Ha-kun by firing squad.[13][14]

When Shin worked in the garment factory and accidentally dropped a sewing machine, the foreman hacked off his middle finger just above the first knuckle as punishment.[15]

Shin witnessed dozens of public executions each year.[1] Another prisoner Kim Yong witnessed around 25 executions in his section of the camp within less than two years.[16]

Shin saw a six year old girl in his school being beaten to death for stealing 5 kernels of corn.[1]

When Shin was 12 years old, he was separated from his mother and rarely allowed to see her. Instead of attending school, the children had to do all kinds of physical work including weeding, harvesting, and carrying dung.[10]

Between the ages of 13 and 16, Shin was forced to do dangerous construction work and saw many children killed in work. Sometimes, four to five children were killed in a day. On one occasion, he saw eight people killed by an accident.[10]

Shin’s cousin was raped by prison guards and died later and when his cousin’s mother wailed, she disappeared and was never seen again.[17]

Shin saw how twelve fellow prisoners were given toxic water for washing by the guards and got seriously ill within a week and then disappeared.[17]

When Shin escaped through the high-voltage electric fence surrounding the camp, his friend Park Yong-chul got electrocuted.[1]

Thermostat to 11. 'sigh'

There's difference in scale, but cruelty and lack of due process is cruelty and lack of due process, whether in Cuba, at secret prisons in Afghanistan, at Abu Graib, or in N Korea.

Of the over 800 people sent to Gitmo, only a handful were ever charged with anything. Most were sent home - presumed not to be a threat after all, no?

Torture in Gitmo abd the CIA's black prisons around the globe was famously the order of the day. Stress positions, beatings, confinement in small boxes, hunger, thirst, sleep deprivation, solitary, broken shoulder blades, and death.

If the Bill of Rights is really what we're all about, than we would do well to act accordingly to maintain our legitimacy and provide an example to the rest of a world that watches us like the latest episode of Honey Boo Boo.

If you think the US couldn't go all N Korea on its population's ass, light off a mini nuke in an American city and watch the fun begin. We've proven time and time again that we can ramp up quickly what we do on a small scale when we want to. Once you suspend the right of habeas corpus, as the US has already done, you can make people simply disappear.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

Why all the outrage? N Korea is simply following the same military strategy we have.

Given that the US

a) invented nuclear weapons

b) is the only country to have used them in warfare

and c) maintains nearly 10,000 nuclear warheads today

What can the US really say about N Korea's 3rd nuclear test that isn't patently hypocritical?

I know, I know...this observation means I love communism and sleep with Kim Jong Un.

I do like Korean food.

To even attempt to compare US and n Korea you have to be totally FUCKED IN THE HEAD!

What if I'm just thinking about attempting to compare the two? At what point can I be guaranteed a thoroughly fucked brain?

We learned our brainwashing, er, interrogation techniques (loud white noise, stress positions, cold, sleep deprivation = oatmeal brain withing 48 hours - used extensively by the US in a variety of conflicts since then) from the N Koreans after we debriefed the crew of the Mayaguez. That's why indefinite, secret detention is such a bad idea - you can get anyone go confess to anything as long as you have enough uninterrupted quality time together.

We're more alike than you might think, except that Dog is on our side, of course.

What if I'm just thinking about attempting to compare the two? At what point can I be guaranteed a thoroughly fucked brain?

We learned our brainwashing, er, interrogation techniques (loud white noise, stress positions, cold, sleep deprivation = oatmeal brain withing 48 hours - used extensively by the US in a variety of conflicts since then) from the N Koreans after we debriefed the crew of the Mayaguez. That's why indefinite, secret detention is such a bad idea - you can get anyone go confess to anything as long as you have enough uninterrupted quality time together.

We're more alike than you might think, except that Dog is on our side, of course.

Growing up behind the iron curtain I can assure you USA and n korea are not alike . The fact of this conversation via internet just points out to the obvious difference. Most likely your political posts would land you in one of the wonderful labor camps, where you'd perish due to malnutrition while conducting 18 hours per day of heavy labor.

The only substantive difference between N Korea and the US is the popularity of fuschia clothing.

If you think it's so great, why don't you relocate there? I know this country is far from perfect, but at least there is degree of sanity among some. I would encourage you to get your ass on a plane and see for yourself how other parts of the world look like.

Edited by glassgowkiss